It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2010, 10:03 PM   #1
(female)

wishful006 HB User
OCD- anyone have similar experience like mine- Please respond!

Hi everyone.

I have been diagnosed with having OCD, but my story may seem a bit strange.

A few months ago I started having really bad acne breakouts for the first time in my life (im 21). I quickly became obsessed about trying to cure it, by trying various antibiotics, topicals, you name it. I even began not eating hardly anything because I was afraid that a food allergy of sensitivity may be causing it. I ended up losing 10 lbs, and being 102 lbs to start with, 92 is way to thin. As the acne problem didnt clear up and continued to worsen, I began to hibernate in my house. I did this for 3 months. I only left when absolutely necessary. I even took a medical leave from my job. I kept looking in mirrors constantly, and picked at them (even though it only makes it worse), but the idea that I was speeding along the healing process made me feel that it was ok. I literally could spend hours in the mirror examining my face. Getting upset, more depressed, ect. My fiance even ended up leaving me because he felt like he lost the person he knew, like I died.

Now, although the acne is under control a bit more (new medicine Bactrim DS), I still find myself going to bathrooms alot to examine for a new breakout, and when I do have a flare up, I start to get really anxious, really really anxious. Its like the fear of it coming back severely like it was literally scares me because it controls my life. I cant even make plans for more than a day in advance because I feel that it literally depends on if my skin is OK at least, so I wont be upset the entire day.

Everyone in my family is soo tired of hearing about my face problem. My fiance is now trying to work things out with me, but he too is scared that if this face problem gets really bad again, its all going to start again with me sheltering myself and crying all day basically. Its gotten to the point where I cant even talk about my face without it starting a fight with everyone I know. They just keep telling me that I need to deal with it. But, its not that easy when your mind dwells on things to the point where it controls your life. Literally.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-20-2010, 01:04 PM   #2
(female)

HIM HB User
Re: OCD- anyone have similar experience like mine- Please respond!

Hello. I do not have this problem to the full extent as you do, but in some ways I can agree with you. I won't go anywhere if I have a giant blemish on my face because I am afraid everyone will stare. I'm always told that it's not as bad as I think, but I can't truly believe that!

Something that has helped me A LOT - I have been using Origin face wash and various other products from them and nothing else. I have also stopped picking, which was REALLY hard to do, and I have to admit, sometimes I still do. But not touching your face really helps keep away extra dirt and oils. I washed morning and night and the problem cleared up a lot. I do not stress about it as often now. Maybe this is something you can try? I hope things get better for you.

Old 07-20-2010, 05:49 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

awayfromOCD HB User
Re: OCD- anyone have similar experience like mine- Please respond!

wishful-
do you think it may be Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD) instead of the OCD that's causing the obsession with your face?

either way, i'm so sorry you have to deal with this and OCD. i hope you're able to find help. and you're not alone!!

Last edited by awayfromOCD; 07-27-2010 at 07:05 PM. Reason: copied and pasted from website

Closed Thread