It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2010, 12:22 PM   #1
(female)

jerymom228 HB User
Unhappy Ocd

I am a mother of a 12 yr old son who has OCD. I have been trying to get disablity for him, & hes been denied, filed the appeal & he got denied again. I have read so much on OCD & Anxiety. Their reasoning for denial is because they say he can function like a normal child his age.... NOT TRUE! He hoards alot of things, food, pencils, pencil shavings, toys, games ect. He is very intellegent, however, the OCD/Anxiety is just awful. Hes affraid to do so many things,that a normal child wouldnt be affraid of. After I put him to bed, tuck him in.. 5 secs later, he gets up. He will check the door to make sure its locked, he looks out his window repeatadly to make sure noone is out there, checks & makes sure the window is locked. Hes knocked down his blinds numerous of times doing this, as well as by the time he falls sleep, I go to check on him.. & he will be sleep with his glasses back on his face with his head under the covers. Another thing he does, is sometimes when hes alone, noone around.. he will just start repeating a word over & over.. makes no sense.. he will either say "chicken nuggets" or squaks like a bird. I have friends who really hasnt been around him that much & even say that yes hes intellegent, but... "theres just something thats not right with him". He has been dignosed with ADHD, OCD, Anxiety, & Tic. He takes meds, however he still is hyper, & the OCD /Anxiety has only gotten worse. I have cried so many times when I am alone. I feel like I am alone in this at times. There are kids who make fun of him or doesnt want to be friends with him after a few days, because they think hes weird. There are kids out there that do get disablity when those kids function 3 TIMES BETTER than my son. I get upset at times, 7 then i have to stop & tell my son this is something he cant help. The hoarding of the food I have questioned him a million times.. "why do you do this son?" " are you still hungry??" he tells me he doesnt know why he does it..& hes not hungry at the time he does it. I have had to keep an eye out on his room, check it often, due to I know it will cause bugs. I have already had to "bomb/spray" my house numerous of times. Would you not think that he is considered being disabled? Hes been like this for the last few years, & its only gotten worse. Someone please help me understand this better. I feel so alone in this & it upsets me tremendously

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2010, 05:30 PM   #2
(female)

ww1989 HB User
Re: Ocd

Hello there,
My 11 year old daughter also has been dx w/OCD & anxiety, I also think she has ADHD. She is extremely active (like a tomboy). If she doesn't have enough daily activity & exercise, she will get really hyper. The OCD is terrible with her organization of personal hygene, cleaning her room, doing her homework and she also had a tic (her eyes blink a lot when she is talking).

I always feel so aweful about her social interactions at school. She is such a sweet, loving little girl. But it seems that girls her age are so mean and judgmental these days. They don't like her or let include her in their "clicks". This has me soooo worried about how this can/will affect her as these years continue. Her feelings are hurt easily. She cries when she gets home. I just tell her I love her and that she is a wonderful, beautiful smart girl.

My daughter isn't on disability either. Regarding getting your sons disability.... Has his pediatrician or therapist recommended doing this?? If so, hopefully they have written a letter for you to submit with your application. If not, I would get this letter and appeal it again. If at first you don't succeed, try ,try again. At his school you can also do a 504 plan, or an IEP plan to help him. Best of luck w/ you and your son.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:00 PM   #3
(female)

jerymom228 HB User

Hi & thanks for responding,*sighs*, I know what you mean by the kids being so cruel. I wish that I could just take all these things away & make him feel normal.The thing with the IEP is.. he makes excellent grades & is extrmely smart. Another thing is..I even told his teacher last year that he has this, & the teachers inprevious grades, they act like im silly. But they dont check his backpack, pff ive told them they really ought to check his bag, i have found pencil shavings among other things. This just really gets me down. so much. I wished there was so much i could do, as in MORE.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:39 PM   #4
(female)

ww1989 HB User

I also have issues with my son... His are regarding his behavior in the classroom. He has ADHD which can lead to disruptive behavior. I went round and round with teacher and principal about getting an IEP or 504 plan set up to make the classroom a more pleasant place for teacher, my son, and all the other students. It was like banging my head against the wall every week!!!

Finally I gave up and contacted the assistant superintendent that is in charge of my son's school. He called the principal that same day and after that their attitude toward me and my son took a 180 degree shift! The finally sat down again to discuss a plan. The had also told me he didn't meet the criteria for an IEP because he has excellent grades. It his behavior that is the issue. So we developed the 504 plan. It seems to have helped.

Sometimes it's the squeaky wheels that get the oil. If you son is still not getting what he needs. Try talking to the school counselor or principal. If that doesn't work then go to the next level. Best of luck to you.....

Closed Thread