It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2010, 06:54 AM   #1
(female)

Tulipa7 HB User
Fear of medication not working

Has anyone ever had this fear?? I have been on zoloft for hmmm 6 hours now (lol) and my ocd is based around "Will I ever feel better...oh I feel a little better...oh no I am focusing on whether or not I am better..." and then my mood drops. over and over again the same record plays. So its like I am fearful of feeling better again because Im scared I will be doing this the rest of my life! Anyone relate?

Old 07-29-2010, 10:03 AM   #2
(female)

recovering HB User
Re: Fear of medication not working

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulipa7 View Post
Has anyone ever had this fear?? I have been on zoloft for hmmm 6 hours now (lol) and my ocd is based around "Will I ever feel better...oh I feel a little better...oh no I am focusing on whether or not I am better..." and then my mood drops. over and over again the same record plays. So its like I am fearful of feeling better again because Im scared I will be doing this the rest of my life! Anyone relate?
Absolutely, I started zoloft and then worried because I never take any kind of pills. I'm pretty sure it takes 5 or 6 weeks to start working so you just need to give it a chance. I am a firm believer of erp and I think its just as important or even more important than medication. That's just what works for me though; you should discuss it with your doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2010, 10:14 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

00lady00 HB User00lady00 HB User00lady00 HB User00lady00 HB User00lady00 HB User00lady00 HB User00lady00 HB User

lol, I know exactly how you feel, I've been on Zoloft now for 4 days and I keep wondering the same thing and obssesing over it. Lately I've been feeling dull more than anything and kind of sleepy, how are you feeling?

Old 07-29-2010, 02:08 PM   #4
(female)

recovering HB User

I've only been taking 50 mg for about 10 days. My doctor didn't tell me to start with 25mg; I think he forgot that part. I feel as though I have a little indegestion but thats about it. I hadn't been able to sleep at night and someone mentioned that zoloft makes you tired so I started taking it with my evening meal so I would be more sleepy at night and it seems to work out pretty good.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:19 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

00lady00 HB User00lady00 HB User00lady00 HB User00lady00 HB User00lady00 HB User00lady00 HB User00lady00 HB User

My doctor told me to start with 25mg for a week and go up to 50mg another week and 75mg the next and finally 100mg, he said to only do this if I could. I think I also have a little bit of indigestion.. and I have that sleepy/foggy feeling, I hope that goes away soon.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:25 PM   #6
(female)

Tulipa7 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00lady00 View Post
lol, I know exactly how you feel, I've been on Zoloft now for 4 days and I keep wondering the same thing and obssesing over it. Lately I've been feeling dull more than anything and kind of sleepy, how are you feeling?
I do not feel dull, but I am having quite a bit of indigestion. Maybe I should take it at night time. I assumed that if it caused insomnia that I would want to take it in the morning, but after 4 hours of taking it, I got hit with the drowsiness.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:45 PM   #7
(female)

Tulipa7 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by recovering View Post
Absolutely, I started zoloft and then worried because I never take any kind of pills. I'm pretty sure it takes 5 or 6 weeks to start working so you just need to give it a chance. I am a firm believer of erp and I think its just as important or even more important than medication. That's just what works for me though; you should discuss it with your doctor.
What is erp? I also got a prescription to ambien because I have not been sleeping, but I am too freaked out to take it.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:32 PM   #8
(female)

recovering HB User

Quote:
What is erp? I also got a prescription to ambien because I have not been sleeping, but I am too freaked out to take it.
It's exposure and response prevention therapy. I take the Zoloft at night but still have the indigestion. I also have the indigestion when I'm riding my bike; it makes it really tough. I hope that my body gets use to it so I can have normal excersice; I really need it to relieve stress. I don't know anything about ambien but I would do some research to make sure there are no drug interactions.

Old 07-30-2010, 04:45 AM   #9
(female)

Tulipa7 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by recovering View Post
It's exposure and response prevention therapy. I take the Zoloft at night but still have the indigestion. I also have the indigestion when I'm riding my bike; it makes it really tough. I hope that my body gets use to it so I can have normal excersice; I really need it to relieve stress. I don't know anything about ambien but I would do some research to make sure there are no drug interactions.
Pardon me if I have asked this already (I have not really slept in 4 days so that is where my brain is) but did it affect your sleep? I am considering taking it at night so when that little bit of drowsiness kicks in, it will hopefully keep me/or help me fall back asleep.

Old 07-30-2010, 08:28 AM   #10
(female)

recovering HB User

Quote:
Pardon me if I have asked this already (I have not really slept in 4 days so that is where my brain is) but did it affect your sleep? I am considering taking it at night so when that little bit of drowsiness kicks in, it will hopefully keep me/or help me fall back asleep.
Originally I was worried that it would give me insomnia but I think it was the obsessing that did that. So, I'm not really sure if I'm obsessing less but I noticed that when I take it late I sleep better. Also, I try to put all thoughts out of my head so I can sleep. It's mind over matter and its hard but a lot of times it works. Oh, and I'd like to report no indigestion today.

Last edited by recovering; 07-30-2010 at 08:30 AM.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:06 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

The first night I took it I felt a little uneasy because I felt my brain was a little wired, but I think it was just nerves, I'm nervous about what the drug will do to me, last night I was in a lot of panic, I think I'm going to be increasing the dosage soon as I'm not feeling anything anymore, I guess this is how you're suppose to introduce more to the body. Also, I was having indigestion but I took some peptic relief last night and it went away and I dont have anything today, hopefully it gets a lot better

I take it around 8pm with dinner, that's a good time because it takes about 3hrs or so for the drowsiness to hit me and I sleep around 11 or 12pm anyways, so far I've had no issues sleeping.

perhaps we should report our progress or how we're feeling since we're all taking the same meds? it'd be nice to know.

Last edited by 00lady00; 07-30-2010 at 12:18 PM.

Old 07-30-2010, 04:10 PM   #12
(female)

recovering HB User

Quote:
The first night I took it I felt a little uneasy because I felt my brain was a little wired, but I think it was just nerves, I'm nervous about what the drug will do to me, last night I was in a lot of panic, I think I'm going to be increasing the dosage soon as I'm not feeling anything anymore, I guess this is how you're suppose to introduce more to the body. Also, I was having indigestion but I took some peptic relief last night and it went away and I dont have anything today, hopefully it gets a lot better

I take it around 8pm with dinner, that's a good time because it takes about 3hrs or so for the drowsiness to hit me and I sleep around 11 or 12pm anyways, so far I've had no issues sleeping.

perhaps we should report our progress or how we're feeling since we're all taking the same meds? it'd be nice to know.
I'm not sure what the peptic is but my bestfriend did a search for me to find out what anacid i could take for hearburn and we decided tums was the one without a drug interaction. There were some specific drug interactions, you might want to check your peptic to be sure.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:47 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

I looked it up and infact I shouldnt be mixing the two, also, no headache meds is there an alternative? peptic relief was for the indegestion I got from Zoloft and I alos get minor headaches.

Last edited by 00lady00; 07-30-2010 at 06:48 PM.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:38 AM   #14
(female)

Tulipa7 HB User

Quote:

Progress- I started taking it around 7 or 8pm and I am sleeping! Tonight I slept from about midnight-4am, then about 4:45 to 8am. which is actually pretty normal for me. I still woke up with my morning anxiety, but I have only taken 3 pills so I can be more patient about that . I am still having indigestion but I drank a bunch of water around 4am and that helped my stomach ache (I am taking the generic which says HCL in the name, so it makes sense that it is jacking up my stomach) I am thinking of taking a probiotic also cause I went from diarrea the first day to what I think now is me being constipated. I also get itchy about an hour and a half after taking the pill. I hope that doesn't mean I am allergic. I am also grateful that this pill does NOT give me weird dreams like Lexapro did.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:12 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

Progress Report:

I've been on 50mg for about 7days now and I still dont feel anything different, in fact, i had another emotional breakdown last night, now I'm really wondering if this is even going to help. I don't really have any side effects besides some indigestion and I'm thinking of increasing the dosage again, all I can really say is that this stuff makes me REALLY tired. I take it around 8pm and I'm almost falling asleep at work the next morning

Closed Thread