It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2002, 04:00 PM   #1

sick girl HB User
Smile Coping with OCD without meds

Hello everyone, I am new here. I just wanted to share a breif rendition of my story and how I cope with OCD. My OCD came on as the result of a terrifying experience. First, I just had anxiety attacks, then it developed into full fleged OCD. In the beginning, it was so bad that I couldn't eat, I was afraid that my food would be tainted. Gradually, my anxiety began to subside. Then, out of nowhere (about 4 years down the line), it came back full blast and worse than ever. I always thought I could deal with it on my own because I knew a great deal about psychology. Apparently, I didn't know enough because it wasn't until I began to have difficulty separating reality from my imagination that I sought help. After 5 years of sheer torture and helplessness I was diagnosed with OCD. Just knowing specifically which disorder I had and how that disorder functioned has had astounding effects on my recovery.
My therapist is great! I am so lucky to have found someone that actually cares and allows me to help me help myself with her guidance. My boyfriend is great also. He actively participates in my recovery.
With their help, along with many publications and research, I am able to battle OCD without having to take meds. Of course, getting to this point was NOT easy by any means. By the time I sought therapy I was on my way to becoming agoraphobic. I was afraid to drive even the shortest distances. In fact, I think I am one of the few (at least I guess, I haven't heard of anyone with a reaction similar to mine...if so I would love to hear from YOU!)who suffer almost every single type of OCD obsessional behavior there is, but I do not have compulsions like most. I had slight agoraphobia; paranoia of germs, chemicals, poison; intrusive negative (scary) thoughts; washing; superstitious fears. I mostly avoid things altogher rather than performing any sort of compulsion or ritual short of washing my hands a gajillion times.
If there are any others out there that are also combating OCD without meds or would like to, I would love to support, advise,or converse!

-sick girl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2002, 06:07 PM   #2

kim simone HB User
Hey sick girl!

I have had similar OCD expierences like yours since age 17. (Now 39) I was afraid of being poisoned/food tainting, getting every illness in the book you name it, I was afraid of it! I was able to control it after a few years. It reared it's ugly head again after 9/11 and anthrax. This time I had trouble controling on my own and went the med route. So far so good! I am doing much better and hope to be off meds soon! It's nice to know I'm not alone!

Stay well!

Kim

Old 10-13-2002, 07:09 PM   #3

Ima Spaz HB User
Hey!! Just wanted to let you know I'm right there with ya!! I don't use meds either, and like you I have had almost every symptom of it. I don't know if you meant you have all of the symptoms right now, or if they have changed and you have had them all throughout your life. But for me it has just been a continuous line of changing symptoms. I have gone from purely obsessional thoughts (about practically everything) to being germophobic and washing my hands. I have had the counting, rearranging, repeating, and all that fun stuff. Welp if you wanna talk about any of it I'm here for you!!

Old 10-23-2002, 07:45 PM   #4

OrangeJane HB User
Smile

Hello! I am new to this board and am very interested in your no medication approach. I have suffered from OCD since early childhood (I have no memories of a time without it). I have only tried medication once about two years ago (Paxil) and did not continue it. Maybe I am hesitant because I do not know life without OCD, even if it does torment me on a daily (hourly) basis. I have more compulsions than obsessions, but do suffer from multiple ones at once. Most of the time I feel like a real psychological multi-tasker. Please post back and tell me what you have found to be helpful. I would rather not be medication dependent, not that I shun medication. But personally I feel that medication is not for me. (I also have pill issues, which may contribute to this point of view.) Please share your thoughts on this subject. Thanks.

Old 11-04-2002, 09:24 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User
I to try to work through my ocd without the drugs, along with my GAD it can be difficult. I never was like this til after my first marriage back in the 70's. You could say he drove me over the edge cuz I at least never had any signs of anxiety or ocd. I'm a germophobic, as well as phobic of possible food poisoning. My new hubby is very helpful, he'll take a bite of my food and that way if he falls over dead I won't touch it. Seriously that was my hubby's way of assuring me. I hate being this way and at times I do take a xanax to calm me down.

Old 11-09-2002, 10:58 PM   #6

thinkaholic HB User
Exclamation

Hi sickgirl and everyone,
Ijust wanted to say that I can relate with you SG I do not remember a time when i wasn't the way i am. ive had changing obsessive fears i have some that ive had since i was 5. from about age ten until last year (age 17) i avoided going places and had a ton of superstitions about doing stuff causing me to be a very unreliable date. until last year i went through monthly phases where i was pretty much agoraphobic. the only place i wnt was school during these phases but mostly i spent my time in the nurses office. anyway i was diagnosed with ocd last year and it was a struggle for me to accept it. it was tough and its still not over and i am on meds i have tried skipping them but i cant seem to cope anymore unless i have em. last year i started them very reluctantly only because i was sooo desparate to not feel guilty and worried and depressed and like a failure anymore. anyway i dont go to therapy because i hate talking about it and i dont see how it does anygood. and sometimes it seems like i am still a mess even though i have managed to get out and do things whenever i want with little fear. some things wont stop and i sometimes want to die but i dont want to die i just want my ocd if thats what it really is, to die. also i do not have compulsions just avoidance and fears and intrusive thoughts that can get soooo bad. i wish my brain would just stop thinking because its driving me nuts

Closed Thread