It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2002, 08:15 PM   #1

weatherdrb HB User
Unhappy Alcohol Triggering OCD?

I have never been diagnosed with OCD, but have noticed some of the medications I've been prescribed for depression also say they are used for OCD treatment as well. These included Wellbutrin, Paxil and, most recently, Prozac. Now of them seemed to do me much good, probably since I was combining them with liberal amounts of alcohol

When I drink, I seem to have the need to compulsively cut my hair! Everytime I'd see myself in the mirror, I'd see something "out of place" and start snipping. This ties in with the symmetry problem many of these posts have spoken of. I need to feel every hair is in place, so needless to say, my hair style has become quite short and I hate it! On mornings following the butchering, I'd then have to correct the damage by even more cutting! If somebody has the nerve to say anything, I just joke that my barbers are named "Jim Beam and Jack Daniels!"

The only other thing I notice that relates to my being a perfectionist or having to have things in symmetry is with house decor, such as collector plates and nic-nacs on the fireplace mantle. I can spend way too much time getting the symmetry, spacing and angles just right and then adjusting the spotlighting. Then I'll rearrange wall pictures and can tell if any of them are even a quarter inch off level. Has anyone read or know of repeated hair-cutting being considered OCD? Maybe I should just have it shaved off. That's stylish these days isn't it?

[This message has been edited by weatherdrb (edited 11-11-2002).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2002, 08:02 PM   #2

thinkaholic HB User
HI!
I know this isn't a recent post but I think you need some feedback to get yourself back on track.

First of all OCD comes in many forms the basic thing you need to understand is that the compulsions: i.e., your hair cutting are done as a sort of superstitious attempt to ward off reoccurring "bad" thoughts: i.e., Thoughts that harm will come to you or your family, or that you may act on random reoccurring scary/violent/sexual thoughts, etc…

*Note: Random compulsions with no obsessive thoughts or feelings of stress/urgency are not considered ocd.

*When I mention anxiety I am referring to 'anxiety as a category' which includes all forms of anxiety disorders including OCD.

Anxiety can be a result of depression and as you learn to deal with the depression and conquer it, the anxiety or compulsive actions may go away.

Also anxiety is actually a side effect of SRIs (paxil, prozac,zoloft...etc) However it should stop as your system begins to accept the meds and adapt. So if your hair cutting and other symmetry problems started occurring after you started the SRIs it could indeed be a side effect and will probably stop. However if it started with the meds and you have been on them for more than six months you should see your doctor/psychiatrist to adjust or change the medications you are on.

As for the alcohol I am unsure if that would cause anxiety when mixed with SRIs. However I do know that this could increase liver damage. Also since alcohol is categorized as a DEPRESSANT I would think it would counteract the effects of the meds, not cause anxiety. However I am not familiar with the varying effects alcohol has on one's personality because I don't drink.
If you are serious about getting well I strongly suggest you stop drinking because it will only impair your thinking and delay focus on reality which will delay recovery because to recover you need to confront your feelings and your life. You need to accept things and make any needed changes. And if you are constantly hiding behind the bottle you will never be able to make these changes. I hope I helped and I hope you get back on track if you are not already.
Best Wishes http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif
Think

------------------
"Success is not permanent. The same is also true of failure."

Closed Thread