It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2010, 12:04 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

00lady00 HB User00lady00 HB User00lady00 HB User00lady00 HB User00lady00 HB User00lady00 HB User00lady00 HB User
New to the idea of OCD, where to start?

I never really thought of myself as having OCD, at least not to the degree that i've read that some people do, but I think this is probably a correct description of myself, I dont count,wash,check or anything like that, but the mental ruminating is terrible, I suppose this would classify me as having Pure O, I've been diagnosed with PTSD, but I'm really starting to wonder if this a correct assumption, everything begins because of my OCD thoughts and what I fear will happen unless I have constant reassurance that everything is okay, if that reassurance doesn't come I panic and end up acting completely ridiculous and feeling as if I'm going to die in that very moment, it causes me panic attacks, and the whole thing had gotten way out of control lately that I seeked medication and I just started Zoloft on Monday. I dont really know how this will help me but I'm so extremely worried for my well being, I'm so depressed too. My mom has suggested joining a support group because she insists that that's the only thing that can really help me, but is it really? I've been in Therapy since October and I dont see any real benefit thus far, I'm not anymore comfortable with the fears that grip me every day.

I've heard a few people say that you need to find a therapists that actually has experience with treating people with OCD, but my therapists seems to only be doing CBT, were I guess there is a different type of therapy that is much more effective. Should I suggest this to my therapist? I feel bad telling him what I think because I dont want to upset him really, or make him feel like he doesnt know his job, he is professional I suppose. I've been wanting to know if there is a therapist in the department that is more familiar with this, my therapy is really not working, I was in crisis and sought medication but I really dont want to use it for too long, does anyone have any suggestions? I'm really desperate.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-01-2010, 11:00 PM   #2
(male)

Vuk HB User
Re: New to the idea of OCD, where to start?

Sound like OCD. Don't be shy to say to your therapist that you are not getting any better and aim to look for someone who does exposure therapy. If your thoughts are not possible to be exposed, imaginary exposure therapy often works. That is what I would do.

Closed Thread