It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2002, 07:20 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

nightowl2 HB User
Question Lip Chewing

I have a really bad habit of chewing my lips(my bottom lip)I can't really stop.I just wondered if anyone else out there has this really strange habit at all? So far I haven't seen anyone with it.I do it at times too much, so much that I end up having horrible stomach aches! (Right now it is off and on, because of the stress I have been going thru). Well, I just wondered...thanks.(I am also a hairpuller and a checker and a "saver" of things(but I do throw things out unlike some people that I have met recently in an o.c.d. group that I am in.)

well, anyhow thanks, nightowl2

Old 07-03-2002, 07:38 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

nightowl2 HB User
Arrow

Hi!
In answer to your reply, not biting skin off, just biting the bottom lip,and moving my lip back and forth with my fingers, basically....Or just biting the bottom lip with my top teeth.It tends to calm me down for some reason.....Nightowl2

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2002, 07:54 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

nightowl2 HB User
Question

Jerseygirl,
When you said you bite your skin off, may I ask where? I used to have this habit, when I was little, among some of my other little friends. We used to (for fun, can you believe this?!!) suck our fingers then pull the skin off of our hands(from our fingertips and down)I can't think about it now, because it actually makes me ill to think about it in the first place.But, that is what we kids used to do.I guess that we were bored and were trying to gross each other out, or something. I am not trying to make this like a joke, however.You made me think of this when you said what you did.I was surprised to hear about it!Anyhow, just curious... thanks, nightowl2

We also used to turn the "eyelids up" and scare everyone with this habit.I could never do that one.

Old 07-16-2002, 06:32 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

nightowl2 HB User
Angry

JerseyGirl,
I think that o.c.d. needs to "die off" ya know...It makes me sad that you and I and all of these poor people are suffering from this horrible habit MONSTER! ArRRRGH! When I was younger I just kept telling myself that someone ,somewhere would find a way to get rid of it and it would never darken my door again.....and yet it is STILL here! Have you suffered from this since you were very little? I have other annoying o.c.d. habits since childhood. One is hairpulling.I am lucky that I don't pull the hair on my head at all. I just pull eyebrows(or what is left of them) and eyelashes.
Anyways, just had to have my say on the subj'. Nightowl2

Old 08-01-2002, 03:23 PM   #5

mikess HB User
I have the same problem, but worse. I chew on my lips, sides of my mouth and my tongue. I'm a big grinder too. I have been have major mouth problems over the last two years due to stress. My whole mouth is just sore and red all the time. I am ordering a $400 night guard this week.

Old 08-01-2002, 05:39 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

west virginia girl HB User
hi.....i actually bite the skin off the inside of my mouth till it bleeds and afterwards my mouth feels so bad and it makes my mouth feel really big. i have did this since i was small,probably about 7 and i'm 24 now.i use to pick at my lips till i could pull skin off of them but for some reason i stopped that,thank goodness,my hubsand makes fun of me cause i bit my mouth and i even take a shirt or something and pull the skin off if i can't get it with my teeth,he says i look crazy cause here i am with blood all over this shirt from my mouth. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dizzy.gif

Old 08-03-2002, 10:28 PM   #7

Say Heather HB User
nightowl2- you mentioned the fact that you throw away things whereas other people you know with ocd do not? I've been suffering wit SEVERE ocd for going on 4 years and I'll tell you..I literally throw my life away. Actually one of my biggest symptons of ocd is my throwing so much out. I just wanted to comment on that..

------------------
<3Heather<3

Old 08-10-2002, 11:15 AM   #8

jcc5566 HB User
Sometimes my lips become chapped and peel and i bite the peeling skin off but it doesnt stop at the peeling skin i keep my lip tore up for way over a month and pull off new skin as it grows back i also chew up the inside of my cheek and ive had the entire inside of my cheek tore clean as far back as i could bite.... when i do this with my bottom lip if i do it to much the skin stays dry and it cracks and it hurts alot...i also rip the taste buds off the side of my tounge and make my tounge reel sore at times... i dont constantly do these things but im off and on... i think it could be related to stress but i do it when im perfectly happy as long as there is a little bit of uplifted skin to pull on ill rip it off any thoughts?

[This message has been edited by jcc5566 (edited 08-10-2002).]

Old 08-27-2002, 07:53 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

nightowl2 HB User
Talking

Hey!
I have an idea for those of you who CAN'T throw away things...in my group that I attend (O.C.D. group), I told them that they should try putting something really gross on a piece of paper that they were thinking of keeping and then toss the paper or what ever you have...(out of sight, out of mind, ya know?!?) The therapist thought that it was a great idea.I just thought that maybe you could use that idea if you ever needed it! I used to do that with stuff that I had a hard time throwing out.I am not a big hoarder,but, I have bags everywhere and a few boxes and I am very tired of putting stuff on the floor!I want to be a neater person.My family and friends don't want to go into my apartment because it is "not clean",so to speak! I've seen much worse than my apartment, trust me! I also donate stuff and throw away stuff, but, I collect books and nicknacks and that is what gets me right back into the situation that I am in! Anyhow, I just wanted to drop everyone a line regarding that idea.
I may be going on that med called effexor pretty soon, maybe it will help with my a.d.d.and my o.c.d. and the emotional side of me that I thought all of this time was a depression!(I guess that it isn't...that's what the doc' says anyhow.)anyhow, that's all! Nightowl2

P.S. I still chew my lip!Just the bottom.

Old 09-05-2002, 05:02 AM   #10

strawberries HB User
I bite my cheeks, just a stupid habit I caught of my mum.
nice

Old 09-11-2002, 07:06 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

nightowl2 HB User
Arrow

Say Heather,
What did you mean that you throw things out? Do you mean that it's easy for you to get rid of stuff? I would think a congratulations would be in order on that one. Do you realize how hard it is for many people out there to actually throw something away as simple as a piece of garbage?(this isn't me, but, I just mean the other people out there who are suffering from this dilemma, and o.c.d.)!!! If you can throw stuff out, you got it made, I think! Lucky you!
Nightowl2

Old 09-20-2002, 09:49 AM   #12

Say Heather HB User
nightowl2,
ohh god! are you kidding me?! throwing things out isn't a blessing..it's hell! I go on like binges where I clean and clean and clean and basically all I'm doing is throwing the majority of my room away. then I go to get something or whatever and realize I threw it away. throwing things away is probably 1 of the biggest parts of my ocd. but whatever..

Old 12-04-2002, 11:22 AM   #13

rom1212 HB User
I bite the inside of my bottom lip, and chew the skin off, and chew the inside of my mouth. And since ya'll were on the subject of hoarding/throwing out and all...I'll add to that too. I don't keep everything, but I keep very odd things. I have collections of useless items like old plastic kiddy jewelry, Barbie shoes and stuff, old paperclips, pennies, pieces of paper...just random stuff in little containers and bags all in my room. I keep all my school papers, and then I'll go on a cleaning spree like, twice a year and throw out a bunch of stuff in my "collections" and then like, a day or two later I will hate myself for it. It's a neverending cycle.

Old 12-07-2002, 02:31 PM   #14
(female)

Krista2882 HB UserKrista2882 HB User
hey, I have the lip-biting habit too!
It just started within the past few years.. the weird thing was that i was biting my bottom lip as i was reading this thread, and i didn't even realize it at first. I don't bite it so hard that it bleeds or anything... i just tend to chew on the right side of my bottom lip... and then if my lips are chapped and the skin is sort of peeling off, i like to peel it off with my teeth. lol

by brother does the same exact thing, but he bites his lip so hard, he actually gets little scabs on it. eww.

Old 02-03-2007, 09:34 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

hergy HB User
Re: Lip Chewing

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightowl2 View Post
I have a really bad habit of chewing my lips(my bottom lip)I can't really stop....I am also a hairpuller and a checker.
Feel assured that you're not alone. I bite the inside of my cheek and my lips. I also bite the skin beside my fingernails, sometimes until they bleed.

I also compulsively spit - in glasses, the sink, the shower. I have a gap between my two front teeth, the Lauren Hutton thing. Anyway, I have an endless problem with sucking saliva in and out of that space. I often have to do it 3 times before I speak. I'm a checker, too.

I have a terribly embarassing compulsion to stretch my tongue outside my mouth. Meds have helped tremendously with that one, but, when under stress, I sometimes get the overwhelming urge to do that.

My daily life is full of other compulsions, and as far as sleep, my psychiatrist has prescribed a sleep aid. I sympathize with you on that endless thought spinning when your head hits the pillow.

Keep your psychiatrist or therapist informed on your obsessions and compulsions, as well as how they affect you. OCD is stressful in itself. It can be the source of major anxiety.

Let me know how the doctor's visit goes.

Best wishes,

Nikki

Closed Thread