It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2002, 07:57 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

JK NY HB User
Post Repeating Words-HELP

I don't know what's wrong with my......my mind mimmicks the words that other people say. When I am sitting in class, I will be repeating everything the professor says in my head-and I can't control it.I can't pay attention to anything. Is this OCD.. ADD? I feel as if i'm going nuts! ANYONE ELSE DO THIS?

Old 12-03-2002, 08:42 PM   #2

OrangeJane HB User
Hi,

I do this sometimes. And sometimes a word or phrase will pop into my head with no idea where it came from and I will have to repeat it until I am able to let it go. But I am a very big counter. This is one of my strongest OCD symptoms that has been a constant battle for many years. I count the letters in words and the words in phrases more than I focus on the actual words or phrases themselves. It can be very distracting. However, I think that since I have been "counting" for sooooo many years that now I am able (most of the time, unless I am stressed or angry) to listen or carry on a conversation with a stream of numbers in the background...Almost like having two radio stations on at once, but being able to focus on both at the same time. So, in an odd way, I may be kind of lucky...Except I have a ton of trouble in math classes!
I don't know of any exercises that would help you with yours though. If it happens more when you are stressed, or when things are chaotic, you could try to calm down (maybe through meditation or exercises like pilates or yoga or anything that you find soothing) before you go to class or have to do something that takes a lot of strict attention. I am sorry that I could not be of more help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-01-2003, 09:25 PM   #3

JennieLeigh HB User
I know exactly how you feel..One of my worst OCD habit's is spelling words out in my head over and over or just saying them over and over in my head..I've done it for so long way before it bothered me to the point that it does now..This is only one out of the *many* silly http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dizzy.gif little "rituals" that I do on a daily basis..I have been on Luvox for almost 4 months..I still continue to do these things but the medicine has reduced it some..I want off of the medicine b/c it makes me too sleepy..I stopped taking it for a few days and it was a bad mistake..I had a bad withdrawal..Throwing up for about 4 days until I finally took the medicine & was much better the next ay..I think medicine is a great thing if you absolutely need it but I've learned that it's much better to do w/out and make yourself stop doing things even though it's extremely hard..Good luck to you all http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/bang.gif

------------------
~Jennifer Leigh Parcus~

Closed Thread