It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2003, 07:55 PM   #1

Seafrog99 HB User
Unhappy OCD and sleep

I haven't been diagnosed with OCD,but I think this might be. For about 2 months now, I get these irrational thoughts that I will die in my sleep.I am 22 in good health despite my hypochondriasis. I usually end up taking can after can of soda so that I can stay up and not fall asleep usually I end up passing out around 5am and being a college student with 16hours, I'm surprised it's not affecting my grades only my sanity. My friends just tell me to just go to sleep and forget about it but I cant forget the thoughts wont go away and I feel that staying awake is the only way to prevent what I fear even though I know its crazy. This is beginning to really become a problem, am I alone, and just totally crazy,please respond!

Old 01-17-2003, 08:27 PM   #2
Blue4U2

It doesn't sound as much like OCD as it does panic disorder.

When did your fears of dying in your sleep start?

CAn you consult your doctor? He may be able to prescribe something to help you to sleep while you seek help for the root of your fear.

Maybe you are really overwhelmed. It sounds like you are overworking your self which can really wear you down mentally and physically.

Blue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2003, 08:37 PM   #3

Seafrog99 HB User
Hi Blue,thanks for the response,I really appreciate it. I have had this fear on an off my whole life and I think it might come from that I am totally obsessed with illnesses and I always think something is wrong and that the doctors just don't listen to me. The thoughts starting getting really bad after I found out I was being sued by a creditor and realized that I am in debt over my head and I almost killed myself when I realized I couldn't pay it back and somehow became fixated that if I wish I were dead like did then that oh my gosh I might die and wait I don't really want to and I don't kno wit makes no sense whatsoever but from then on it was a snowball effect it nearly pretty much ruined my holiday because I was so tired from forcing myself awake. I have tried some meds from anxiety but unfortunatly I'm terrified of meds and start freaking out at a tiny side effect, I thought about going to my doctor I just don't know if I can or will have to willpower to stay on the meds

Old 01-22-2003, 01:25 PM   #4
Blue4U2

I understand, VERY WELL!!!!!

SEafrog (dig yer name by the way),

Remember one thing if nothing else.

THERE IS NO DEBTORS JAIL!!!!!

MANY people in America are in Debt.

Shoot.... AMERICA is in DEBT.

Money can be very stressful.... or, the lack of it, that is.

But let me say, please, it is not all you need.

Desperation and fear, and depression and guilt....

NO WONDER you cannot make yourself get up.

I do not think it is OCD sweety. It sounds like the classic stress/anxiety thing.

Sometimes it just feels like we are in sooooo deep doesn't it?

Well. when we hit our head on the bottom of the pit
we feel into, and regain consciousness,
there is only ONE PLACE LEFT TO GO......

UP!!!!!

Blue

Old 01-23-2003, 10:21 PM   #5
Inactive

Kathrin HB User
I'm not a doctor, but i do have a BA in psychology, and it certainly does not sound like panic disorder to me. Seafrog, i guess it would be best if you talked to a professional. It COULD be OCD or a form of it... I can relate totally to the dying-in-my-sleep thing, I went through a similar thing during one of my anxiety phases. I have had different worries/amxieties/obsessions, but I have been diagnosed with OCD. It is controversial if hypochondriasis should be seen as a form of OCD or not, it is certainly related. Sometimes you might hear the term "OCD-spectrum-disorder".
it does sound like an obsessive thought, the "I might die" thought. I cna just kind of feel the anxiety just thinking about it. Do you have certain rituals you perform sometimes, certain thoughts you think you should or should not think? fears that you might die BECAUSE of something you or somebody else did (it sounds like that from your post).
Tell us more, ok? And remember, there are good ways to treat these things!

Kathrin

Closed Thread