It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2003, 11:27 AM   #1

lindsayl HB User
Post Did I lock the door?

Holy smokes, how many times do I have to check the door before I go to sleep??? I check the door, lie down, read... then get up, check the door again, where are the keys? Check the door again... Can anyone relate?

Old 02-11-2003, 02:23 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

openseason HB User
There was a woman on another board, her husband was an OCD checker. He opened and closed the automatic garage door so many times that it broke. Then she couldnt even get into her own house. Checking the stove and doors is very common.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2003, 06:09 AM   #3

bs842 HB User
I have been checking locks now for about 3-4 years...i drives me nuts because i know that the doors are locked but i just stare at them and keep turning the knob to make sure its locked. My wife thinks i am crazy and it is very embarrassing. I have a system (I dont feel comfortable saying this but...)every night before i go to bed. First i check the lights downstairs a few times make sure the switch is all the turned off then make sure both sets of car keys are on the hook on the wall, then make sure the locks on the door are secure. The downstairs is "1". Next up to the kitchen, but first need to look down the steps to make sure all lights are off. Now the kitchen door, same procedure, make sure i can see the 2 locks and that they are really in the locked position. This door is "2". Now over to the stove, look at each knob over and over this is "3" and the window over the stove is "4". Make sure all lights in kitchen are off and that nothing is plugged in to the sockets! Off to the living room and make sure again that the door is locked..the living room door is "5". First of all this whole procedure takes somewhere between 15-45 min (just to lock up at night!!! crazy i know) and then i will lay in bed and with my left hand count repeatedly 1,2,3,4,5 and go over what the situation was in each room and how the locks were positioned and if something doesnt seem right i will go and check again.

Obviously i know that this behavior is crazy and wrong, becuase i am writing here but yet i still cant stop it. I have been taking paxil cr for a while and just stopped it b/c my prescription ran out and now on top of everything i am feeling terrible due to withdrawl effects!! I could go on about a few other obcessions but not now...thanks for listening and you can know that you arent alone in the checking...after all what will happen tonight if we dont check? probably nothing, but something might.....

Old 02-25-2003, 06:00 PM   #4

starshine2212 HB User
I constantly check the stove, make sure it's turned off. I have to see that my engagement ring is on the table before I go to sleep and say the same 3 prayers in the exact same order. If I'm interrupted, I start over. Then, the next day I have to check and make sure my cell phone is on silent and that the diamond is in my ring all throughout the day.
It is SOOO reassuring to find others like me!

Old 03-29-2003, 02:45 AM   #5
(male)

redbaron HB User
I have been a 'checker' for many years! Just leaving the house to go to work can take up to 20 minutes as I constantly check and re-check that windows are locked, the stove is turned off, and the refrigerator door is shut! The final task is locking the Front Door, and this can take up to 10 minutes as I walk back and forth between the garage and the Front Door to check that I have locked it. I am in a profession that frowns on any sort of medication, so I guess I will just have to keep on checking

Old 04-01-2003, 04:37 PM   #6
(female)

ANYMLKRAKR HB User
As I read all of these posts, I find myself relating to almost everything I read. Its scary how many different things people can worry about.. Is OCD where you 4-5 different obsessive things considered severe OCD? I have to also check my doors in my house 3 or four times before I go to bed. I just stare at them and then pull on them a couple of times. I also check the stove before I leave.. it is so comforting to know that others suffer from this and that i am not a "Freak" like i thought.

Old 04-02-2003, 03:04 AM   #7
(male)

redbaron HB User
ANYMLKRAKR, I really think that 'Severe OCD' is when the disorder stops you from leading a relatively 'normal' life.
I have varying OCD compulsions, but I realise that my actions are not logical , therefore I don't let them 'overpower' me. Apart from the extra time I spend 'checking', etc, I find that I can lead a fairly normal life, with only my Wife knowing that I have this Disorder.

Closed Thread