It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2010, 11:45 AM   #1
(female)

recovering HB User
Realization

I thought that I only had rocd because I didn't seem to have other compulsions. Then I thought back to when I was younger, just after my son was born. I remember being worried about him getting contaminated; I wanted to put him in a bubble. It drove me nuts when someone would kiss him on the head and I could smell their perfume on him or their slobbers and bad breath from their mouths touching his head so I would always clean him off. I remember praying all day, even when I was out I would pray in my mind so no one would hear, I vaguely remember tapping my foot before getting into bed, and trying to get my steps even before stepping over a crack in the sidewalk, I went through a cleaning phase because I worried that people would think I was dirty. When I had an inside dog I would go back to check the stove, toaster and iron because I was afraid I'd burn the house down and he'd have no way out. I thought I had a really bad memory because I could never remember if I had checked or not; I thought that once I got into the house I got distracted and forgot so I'd have to go back. I even remember leaving work on my lunch break to check because I couldn't remember if I turned everything off and I lived 30 miles away from work. There was a time when I would get home and disarm our house alarm but make my husband check the whole house to make sure no one got in. I even had to check the cupboards, under the bed, behind the clothes in the closet, behind the couches and drapes. Even if I walked out of the house for a few minutes to my driveway, if the door was unlocked I'd have to check the house to make sure no one got in. I was also afraid that I was being stalked and I was really afraid to go anywhere alone or that someone was watching me through the windows, so I would have to dress or dryoff from a shower in my closet. I was afraid I would get into an accident so I would always be ready to slam on my brakes. I remember only once thinking that I ran someone over and had to get out and check. I've always been worried that a bf would cheat or that he wasn't good enough for me, I feared that I was gay, I had instrusive thoughts, I've watched the news about horrible crimes and thought "omg what if I was capable of doing something like that and ruined my life and someone elses and I ended up in prison and then I would have to kill myself?" I even had a hard time looking at mug shots of bad guys on the news because I would be afraid I thought they were cute. lol Now I think I'm getting a little worried about germs and its getting worse. I'm always checking to make sure my husband isn't going somewhere he shouldn't and I would have to call or drive to where he was to see, the whole way working myself up into an anxiety attack, then acting like a complete idiot when I get there and see him. And lately, I've been checking these boards to reassure myself that I do have rocd and its not my relationship or fears that are real. I wanted to write this all down so I could see these patterns. I knew there was something wrong because I have always tried to sabatoge relationships or wish that someone would cheat on me so I could get out. I'm so glad I know now, I just can't believe that I didn't see the other compulsions that I was doing. It didn't even dawn on me that it wasn't normal.

Last edited by recovering; 08-09-2010 at 11:49 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-26-2010, 09:07 PM   #2
(female)

katrice26 HB User
Re: Realization

Wow! You have just described every obsession I have ever had. I still check the stove and the sinks. I take the iron with me to work so I do not cause a fire. When I leave the apartment, I have to check to make sure the door is locked. Everytime I get in the car, I worry it will break down. Years ago, I would think I hit a pedestrian. I kept returning to the area to make sure no one was hurt. I always obsess that if I am incarcerated or ruin my life for something I would kill myself. OCD is hard to understand. Right now I am managing okay without medication or a doctor. Some periods I have to take medicine and other times I can manage on my own. What you are feeling are normal for sufferers of OCD. We seem to have the same obsessions.

Last edited by moderator2; 08-28-2010 at 07:05 AM.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:10 PM   #3
(female)

recovering HB User
Re: Realization

Thanks katrice26, A few days ago I went to see a therapist but she doesn't specialize in OCD and I really feel that I need to talk to someone who understands it. I told her that I had an intrusive thought and when I told her exactly what it was it looked like her jaw was going to hit the floor; when I told her it was just an intrusive thought and asked her if she knew what pure o was she didn't, so I gave her a printout to explain it to her. I have another appointment but I think I'm going to try to find someone else. I'm doing a lot better now because I just got so sick of thinking I was over all of it and then it would come back. I stopped watching detective shows, murder mysteries, cheating shows, bad local news stories etc. Because once I start to listen to one of those its hard to turn it off, then it feels like it becomes part of my life and I can't stop thinking about it; its in the pit of my stomach and everything; for years and years I thought I needed to leave my husband for one reason or another so I was trying to start another business in my spare time at home so I wouldn't be left with nothing if we were to part. I would sit at my computer from 8am to 4am the next morning and I did this for years. I ended up with tendenitis. For the past year or so I have forced myself to just sit with the thoughts and let time pass and each time it gets easier. I haven't been checking my house for someone that could be hiding, or stay up all night worrying that I might hear something. One night I finally just told myself that I always feel this way and in the morning I'm still alive and tomorrow will be no different. So I went to sleep and nothing happend; the first night was really hard but now I can tell myself when I get scared that its nothing. The therapist thought I was dilusional because of the intrusive thought and my friends don't believe that I have ocd because my husband is narcissistic and he flirts a lot. Some days I think I have ocd and other days I feel like its my imagination. My newest thing is searching for ocd information. The thing is, I know I'm not gay but thought I was for many years but I didn't fear it unless it seemed like i was in a situation when something could happen, then I'd run from it. I also know for a fact that I've had contridictive thoughts (intrusive thoughts) to how I really feel. I just feel that I need to know for sure if this is ocd, rocd, or hocd etc. because I'm driving myself nuts with this.

Last edited by moderator2; 08-28-2010 at 07:03 AM.

Closed Thread