It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2003, 06:31 PM   #1

chris491 HB User
Unhappy my fear of vomiting

I have an intense fear of vomiting. Whether it's me or anyone else that is around me. I get panic attacks all the time because of this. Just hearing about it makes me feel sick. My life has become very unhappy because of this... I don't go anywhere anymore. I barely eat, and I'm about to lose my job because my attendance is so bad. I just don't know what to do anymore. Can anyone help me?

Old 01-16-2003, 10:42 AM   #2

squaw HB User
I feel your pain. I've had a horrible vomiting phobia every since I can remember. I'm 39 years old and I haven't vomited since I was around 7. My whole life revolves around this fear and like you, I avoid so many things because of it. I don't touch alcohol, I'm very finiky about what and where I eat, and when my children were sick my husband had to take care of them. I have constant nausea from the anxiety which makes me even more anxious. If I feel like I'm going to vomit I shake all over for hours until it passes. I have tried all kinds of anti-depressant medication but never stay on it long enough for it to help because it makes me more nauseous. I don't know if you know the medical term for this phobia, but it is called emetophobia. There is even an emetophobia website. I always keep dramamine or phenergan on hand just in case I feel "too nauseous." I feel so sorry for you because I know how horrible this is. If you want to talk, I'm here.

Last edited by Administrator; 12-09-2013 at 02:08 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2003, 02:28 AM   #3

Applejacks HB User
Thumbs up

I used to have this fear, when I was 17-19 years old. It eventually went away and I moved on to different things. What really helped me was exercise, brisk, long walks. It really helps by releasing natural chemicals that make you feel good (endorphins)and helps you cope with the fear better. It may also stimulate your appetite. Just remember, vomitting is a natural function that you should not fear. The only time it will happen is when your body truly needs to do it for your health and well-being. As for food-don't get obsessed. Try to eat something, at least one time a day and know that it will work it's way out, with your help. Stay healthy and good luck.

Old 03-18-2003, 04:20 PM   #4

Hedgedive HB User
i have had this since i remember thowing up. which was probably around the age of 5. Im 17 now and i would like to join the military but im afraid i might work myself to hard and vomit. Or even the innoculations they give you in the begining of basic training. It has also cause a lot of other problems for me such as 1. Working my self to hard.
2. Afraid of eating to much, especially around the flu season and when people start coming down with stomach virus's.
3. Getting checked for strep throat when they quickly stick the cotton thing in the back of your throat.
4. Im afraid to even try a cigerette.
Its ruined my life in some ways.
What can i do to get over it? and is there any type of medication for it?

Closed Thread