It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2003, 06:32 PM   #1
Inactive

Hooper33 HB User
Post Coffee and OCD

This may be a stupid question but, has anyone been told by their doctor or experienced their OCD to be worse with caffiene intake.
Should I stop ??

Old 05-13-2003, 08:56 PM   #2

halo81 HB User
i dont know if it actually affects my ocd directly but i think that the coffe cigarretes + my medication combined ive noticed that once a week or maybe every two weeks i will get alot of anxiety it can last between 1 to 6 hours and when i reduce my cofee and cigarrete intake those i guess their side effects will actually drop also if y reduce my medication and when i used to smoke heavily and drink lots of cofee those side effects used to come around up to 3 times per week and the intensity would be much worse so yeah i think the best thing is not to smoke or drink cofee atleast that what happens to me but oh man its so hard to quit

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-14-2003, 11:03 PM   #3

sunnyd100 HB User
I can tell you that my old therapist told me that I should stay away from soda, not to mention coffee which has much more caffeine. He called soda "liquid anxiety." Since OCD is an axiety disorder, it couldn't hurt to significantly reduce your caffeine intake.

D

Old 05-16-2003, 01:12 PM   #4

paladinknight HB User
Hi, Ive recently discovered coffee and beleive it or not I can fall assleep in the morning after a smoke and a coffee. I still get anxiety attacts, they havent reduced that much, and ive gone up to 60mgs of celexa a day. I dont know if caffein gives me anxiety but I sure can sleep. It used to be 4 cups of coffee and I couldnt shut down it was like I was on speed. Now Im cool and easy with 6 cups. Is there anything wierd with that? I even surprised my doctor. I find coffee just as relaxing as cigarettes. especially with the 2 combined Im in bliss. And oy yeah, is quitting smoking hard. Its like giving anxiety on anxiety you already have. I think I will wait when my meds are at a happy level. (at least im getting a smile now).

Old 05-27-2003, 10:24 PM   #5

LonelyHeart HB User
Smile

The reason Ive read that as why your OCD seems worse after youve drank coffee is because coffee actually brings your serotonin levels down.......and as psychiatrists believe OCD is a result of lack of serotonin in the brain.

Closed Thread