It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2010, 03:31 PM   #1
(female)

Lisa805 HB User
Need help with obsessive religious thoughts of hell

I am going through an awful time right now. I do have anxiety/obsessions about things but in the past week it has turned into afterlife stuff.

I am scared of death and have been doing constant researching online about it. Reading about near death experiences and came across this guy who wrote a book about how he spent 23 min in hell. The website is VERY detailed about his "experience" and completely freaked me out beyond belief. I haven't been eating and have not been able to think of anything else besides possibly going to "hell". I've been crying uncontrollably.

So I've been going online and reading about these different religions and their beliefs. Catholics think that if u don't repent and confess stuff then u're going to hell. I am a good person but apparently that's not enough. Good works and faith alone is not enough! I was raised Protestant but what if that's the "wrong" religion? Most of the stuff about hell online is very pushy with flashing words websites. And people claiming that even a scary movie is the devil trying to sway u.

My beliefs about god is that he does exist. I often pray to him and feel that he's been instrumental in what I do and go through in life. But then when I hear this stuff I get scared. I feel love is the ultimate goal in life so how can this loving god cast good people out to eternal torture??. I have decided that going to church will be therapeutic for my anxiety but I don't want to feel like I am going only because im afraid of what may come. Thank u so much for your help!!

I am on celexa, lamictal and wellbutrin

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2010, 04:02 PM   #2
(female)

LadyDee HB User
Re: Need help with obsessive religious thoughts of hell

Lisa, I'm so sorry your thinking like this. It could be scary when your really not sure of what is real and what isn't.

In my research and understanding of death there is no burning place of torment. It's just death, non-existence. Back to the dust.

I truly hope this helps you, if you have any questions I would be happy to help answer them.

Last edited by moderator2; 09-05-2010 at 07:19 PM.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:05 PM   #3
(female)

fivepadrons HB User

I am new here also. I am sorry to hear of your anxiety, however, of what I have learned about death, there is no need to fear a burning place of torment. I hope this brings you some comfort!

Last edited by moderator2; 09-04-2010 at 06:32 AM.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:03 AM   #4
(female)

Hyre HB User

Hi Lisa805,

I just want to say that I have had major issues with OCD throughout my life. I didn't know what was wrong with me until when I was fourteen and started to research it on my own. My family never even knew I had it, although they could tell from some of my compulsions that something weird was going on with me (they would laugh at me). Anyway, I like you, believe that there is a God. How could I have gotten through all I have without him? He is always there for me when I pray IN FAITH that He is there listening and wanting to help me. I think sometimes people with OCD sometimes don't want to believe in Him because they think it will make their anxieties skyrocket. I come from a deeply religious background, and sometimes the fear of hell made my anxieties skyrocket. Because I thought, if I'm having all of these fears that I am going to do this or that I must be a bad person, and how could God possibly love me when I've been afraid I would do all of those bad things? How could He possibly? But the thing is, I believe God feels sorry that we are going through this. I personally think He understands. I think He knows everything about us, and that includes our fears, worries and anxieties. I believe we should tell God in prayer what our worries are-and be blunt with Him-say it like it is. He is not going to put you in Hell. I believe He will be happy that you are finally sharing that burden and that worry with Him. I think He loves us and understand us more than we could possibly begin to understand. I don't think God ever intended for us to feel this way about Hell. I think He WANTS us to be in heaven with him and worries about those of us that worry TOO much. For whatever reasons we have developed this difficult and painful OCD, it is not our fault. Who would TRY to develop OCD? Some people don't care at all about what they do and do bad stuff because they want to. Those of us with OCD overreact and we try to be TOO good, which creates the opposite problem. Once in a while we need to allow ourselves to make some mistakes and just sit there and accept our mistakes and accept ourselves with all of our flaws. Anyway, these are my thoughts about it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Hyre For This Useful Post:
IllNeverGiveUp (01-29-2011)
Old 01-21-2011, 09:44 AM   #5
(male)

rockhound HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa805 View Post
I am going through an awful time right now. I do have anxiety/obsessions about things but in the past week it has turned into afterlife stuff.

I am scared of death and have been doing constant researching online about it. Reading about near death experiences and came across this guy who wrote a book about how he spent 23 min in hell. The website is VERY detailed about his "experience" and completely freaked me out beyond belief. I haven't been eating and have not been able to think of anything else besides possibly going to "hell". I've been crying uncontrollably.

So I've been going online and reading about these different religions and their beliefs. Catholics think that if u don't repent and confess stuff then u're going to hell. I am a good person but apparently that's not enough. Good works and faith alone is not enough! I was raised Protestant but what if that's the "wrong" religion? Most of the stuff about hell online is very pushy with flashing words websites. And people claiming that even a scary movie is the devil trying to sway u.

My beliefs about god is that he does exist. I often pray to him and feel that he's been instrumental in what I do and go through in life. But then when I hear this stuff I get scared. I feel love is the ultimate goal in life so how can this loving god cast good people out to eternal torture??. I have decided that going to church will be therapeutic for my anxiety but I don't want to feel like I am going only because im afraid of what may come. Thank u so much for your help!!

I am on celexa, lamictal and wellbutrin
I would be scared if i thought I was going to hell. But I would be thankful for this hell on earth {sometmes}Because I know there is God the Creator andHe has a plan for all of us. The giggest part of your feelings stem from the fact that there are evil factors at play on this earth. The good news is you don't need drugs to hide from them, only faith that god loves you he knew you before you were born and your faith in being apart of his plan is greater than all evil on this earth. My hope is there is someone around you that can reassure this sentimate,and you canknow in your heart,soul,spiritual self that you are ok.

The Following User Says Thank You to rockhound For This Useful Post:
IllNeverGiveUp (01-29-2011)
Closed Thread