It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2003, 03:23 PM   #1

absGorgeous HB User
Post I have a OCD with eating...anyone else???

I really need some help out there...I am struggling with over eating constantly, and I don't know how to stop. It has been ruining my life for the past two and a half years, and I am only a senior in high school, and I am afraid it is going to continue with me throughout my life...does anyone else out there feel like I do, like you have to eat and eat and eat until your stomach feels like it's going to burst, and then feel really low, say you aren't going to do it again, but then the next day, the same thing repeats? I really need to know someone else out there feels like I do, becuase I just don't know what to do anymore. I feel like there's no cure...

Old 10-03-2003, 09:04 PM   #2

teucri HB User
Me too. I never feel full 'till I'm stuffed. I also don't feel hungry 'till I'm in pain. I just don't feel right. I started Lexapro about two weeks ago and it seems to be helping, but I'm getting more panic attacks. My sister became so obese that she had several operations, diet and excercise just didn't work.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2003, 10:05 AM   #3

Corinna_H HB User
Hi, this has been exactly my problem, too!
Trouble is, the more you stuff the bigger you stretch your stomach and the more you CAN stuff.

Your big clue as to the cause is to look back those two and a half years you mention you have been doing it for and see what happened then or what you do different since. That is a pretty acute obsevation on your part and sounds as if there is real hope you can find the cause!

I list here some causes or ideas i know of.

Not drinking enought water!
soft drinks, tea, coffee, squash and even juice don't count towards your water intake and most of those things actually dehydrate you, making it worse.

Stress makes you eat sometimes, try to sort out what stresses you.

chewing gum could give you something to do that stops you eating so often.

If I get myself off foods I know I am allergic to, which is wheat and dairy foods, that craving is hugely reduced, I think it actually irritates my stomach and that feels like a sort of mild hunger. Don't go cutting good types of food without proper medical support, though!!

junk food can cause food cravings as it is actually quite addictive!

Another possibility is a problem with the stomach not sending 'full up' messages to the brain or sending them very late, I sometimes feel full at least half an hour after I stop eating,when it is too late and if this happens to you, it is possible you could persuade yourself to eat slower or wait a bit, distract yourself!

If it is comfort eating, councelling could really help you and is worth going for.

Hypnotism could also help if you can find a good one you trust. (ask around)Though come to think of it, that may not be easy in the States.

If you are anemic or short of something your body needs, that is another possibility.

One other cause...if you are very tired, hunger is an instinctive reaction to try and get more energy.

If you are tired and feel the cold a lot you just may have an underactive thyroid and it is worth being tested for it if that is the case.

sitting still makes for hunger, moving around a lot doesn't.

Weight is hellishly difficult to get off and if you can sort this so you dont put it on, it will help your self esteem.

You most certainly are NOT alone in this and getting together with like minded people who really want to fight the urge to eat will give you support that really makes a difference!

I wish you all the luck in the world! It CAN be done, I have finally kept my weight more or less stable for several years now, though I havn't been able to loose much of it. Yet! but I am old and in my menopause and that makes it very hard to loose weight. you have youth on your side! LOL!!

[This message has been edited by Corinna_H (edited 10-04-2003).]

Old 10-04-2003, 09:34 PM   #4

absGorgeous HB User
Corinna, you don't know how much you have given me strength and courage that I can overcome this...you have given me hope and realization that I can overcome my disorder, and that it won't be a part of me all my life...thank you so much for the suggestions, they have really helped me pinpoint where my problems could be coming from. Good luck losing weight, and congratulations on not letting the food win! Thank you so much!!

Old 10-04-2003, 09:37 PM   #5

absGorgeous HB User
If anyone else out there has the same problem and is struggling with a food obsession, reply to this thread and we can help each other out. It will really help and be motivating to know someone else is there, going through the same thing as you are, and can help you get through your tough times. So feel free to share your stories and goals! It will truly help! "Remember this: Anything worth having is worth working hard for".

Old 10-05-2003, 04:05 AM   #6

Corinna_H HB User
absGorgeous, Thanks for that, *blush*, glad to be able to help!

I really think you sound like the sort of person who is going to get through this!

Keep posting how you are getting on! Good luck!!

Closed Thread