It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2010, 10:48 PM   #1
(male)

zerz HB User
Counting/Checking

I have a lot of counting/checking rituals.

I was a manager of a restaurant for 4 years, and often I would drive all the way back, unlock the door, turn off the alarm, just to make sure the 2 flat top grills were off. No matter how "off" they felt, i would try to turn them even more, just to make sure. Same goes with the safe; I knew it was closed, but I would come back and quadruple check it. Turning something off is not enough for me; I normally turn it off with a count of 1-10, until it feels right. I have resorted to taking photos to remind myself it is off, and nothing is going to burn down. Thoughts like that have compelled me to drop everything I am doing and fix the problem.

I quit my job and I am a full time college student now, but the problem still exists. It has calmed down alot, but still, when I go out to smoke a cigarette, on the way back in I will spit atleast 8 times, until it feels right. Also, I have to tap the rooftop twice if I see a one-head light car. I feel that sense of doom if I dont do these tasks as they were presented in my mind.

sucks..........

Old 09-13-2010, 10:59 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: Counting/Checking

I can imagine how disruptive this must be to your everyday life, when you add up all the time you spend both doing your compulsions, and the anxiety they bring on you.

I understand (by way of television) that the best therapy for OCD is exposure therapy. The theory is that if you can expose yourself to the situation which makes you most uncomfortable, then stay with it until the anxiety comes down, you will eventually remove the basis for your fear.

I would seek out a therapist which specializes in OCD, and get some help. The sooner the better, because this is something, if left unmanaged will interrupt your life. I wish you well.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread