It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2010, 09:36 PM   #1
(male)

wowzers HB User
OCD and how to cure boredom

one of the things that makes my OCD tough is times of severe boredom. i like to consider myself intelligent and analytical, which is great for my job and career and problem-solving, but terrible when i don't have anything to do, which is pretty often.

i'm also very routine. i have a long day at work and per my routine, i then enjoy coming home and watching tv, having a beer or two and then browsing on the internet or something mindless. this gets me very bored. when it's football season, sundays and mondays are more entertaining than others, but tuesday-sunday i am again, bored.

i have tried doing many new things like exercising, which i really hate. i know people say it's good for your body--and i believe that, but they also say it's good for your mind. i've done it for 6-12 months at 3 different cycles in my life and it never made a mental or psychological impact so great that i said, "wow, exercising really is great for me [besides in a physical way]! i have a really hard time exercising over a long consistent period, and i am already a very thin person so it's not like i have the "hey you need to lose weight, that should be challenging" urge either.

i go through cycles of wanting to watch a lot of movies or tv shows, i have several times joined sport's leagues as well. still i get bored after a while. i just cannot find consistency with being entertained, unless i'm at work being challenged or out at a party with friends, and even i am becoming less interested in entertaining others.

so, i don't know anything that can be told to me except the things i mentioned like exercising, find something fun to do, watch movies, get into a new sport, etc. so i don't think i'm asking for what to do specifically, but maybe how to gain the drive to do these things and enjoy them. or is that just who i am and i can't change? i really don't know.

i don't take medicine for my OCD but wonder if that would allow me to calm down on the "always need to be challenged" front, where i can enjoy watching "desperate housewives of some terrible new city" on TV with my girlfriend. i just wish there were some advice or push i could be given. maybe it is time to see a psychiatrist? i really don't know! but i'm really getting bored with being bored. thanks for any help.

Last edited by wowzers; 09-14-2010 at 09:37 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread