It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2010, 06:27 PM   #1
(male)

jimmybob479 HB User
21 year old analyzing if he has OCD

Hey everyone,

Brand new here. Finally decided today to research a little more into the potential of me having OCD.

What I struggle with/encounter recently are constantly making notes in my iphone (things to do, thoughts to remember, ideas I want to look into) and also going into the notes I have already created and saved on my iphone. These are usually deeper things, such as my thoughts and outlines of books I have read about economics, education, the human person, etc.

Now, these both seem "OK" within a normal context, but doing this 5 times a day or so while I'm out and about (driving, with my girlfriend, at work) worries me. I'll think about something, and wonder "do I have that written down?" or "Now, what was it I had written again in that document?". This leaves me incessantly looking through my phone and my mind wondering elsewhere while I'm supposed to be engaged in my surroundings - at work, in a movie, spending time with my girlfriend.

Before my iphone, in highschool I would make lists and write on my hand. Every day would be thoughts, ideas, and to-do lists on my hand or papers in my pocket.

In terms of numbers, in junior high and highschool I would count the number of windows on certain buildings in my neighborhood, and recite the 8 street names in my neighborhood. The only physical OCDS are if I touch my face with one hand, I have to touch it with the other too.

In all of these cases, not writing or looking up or counting or reciting leaves me feeling anxious or distracted. The thoughts just don't leave my head. What this causes is I feel like my mind is running at 110% constantly, and as if my thoughts distract me rather than add to my life.

What I've read about OCD a lot is that it talks a lot about the physical attributes - washing, closing, checking, etc, and I struggle more with the mental thoughts that feel overwhelming. Are there any good books that address this issue, or advice? I read one member who scheduled time to take notes, etc. That's a helpful piece of advice I may take, but I know I have so much more to learn! Thanks in advance for everyone's support!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread