It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2010, 09:39 PM   #1
(female)

Someone Help Me HB User
*new here* intrusive thoughts help

Last edited by Someone Help Me; 11-15-2010 at 03:15 PM.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Searchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB User
Re: *new here* intrusive thoughts help

Was there some sort of event or trauma that preceded the beginning of this thought pattern? Let me give you a tool to use when you begin to hear these thoughts. Either out loud or in your head yell, "STOP!". This does take practice of course to be able to divert your attention from the thought. You can use this and it will help you until the medication is adjusted correctly. I understand that you do not really understand what is happening with you right now. You will definitely need to ask your doctor about this and possibly a therapist. I think it will alleviate some of the anxiety you are feeling. Also when you feel a thought coming that is somewhat OC you could benefit by taking in a deep breath and blowing it out hard...that may just divert your attention long enough to stop the intrusive thought(s) for the time being. I wish you success in doing these exercises! Sincerely, searchin

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2010, 11:36 PM   #3
(female)

Someone Help Me HB User

The following user gives a hug of support to Someone Help Me:
Searchin (11-04-2010)
Old 11-04-2010, 02:03 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Searchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB UserSearchin HB User

Think about the first time you began to repeat what people say over and over in your head. What event preceded the behavior? What do you think will happen if you do not repeat what people say? Does the anxiety come before or after the repeating behavior? Sincerely, searchin

Old 11-04-2010, 03:29 PM   #5
(female)

Someone Help Me HB User

Old 11-04-2010, 07:36 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

For your type of problem this is normal. How much of your day do you think you spend dealing with this? The good news is that with the right meds you will find some relief. It is thought that not having enough of a chemical in the brain called serotonin may be part of the cause of this problem. I am sure you have heard of seotonin if you have had any depression in your life. I believe this condition, OCD, has underlying depressive traits. Has something changed with your husband and his incarceration? I mean has he incurred new charges, you found out something about him you did not previously know? It is ok to talk about it here it is anonymous and right now it looks like it is just you and I talking. This board is here to help you. Take advantage of it.Sincerely, searchin

The Following User Says Thank You to Searchin For This Useful Post:
Someone Help Me (11-04-2010)
Old 11-04-2010, 10:50 PM   #7
(female)

Someone Help Me HB User

I spend most of my day dealing with this. Theres always something that pops into my mind that kind of triggers me into thinking I need to tell my husband something. It could mean nothing at all and it could be a stupid thought. Hes been very supportive of what I'm dealing with, no changes in him really, just me! Yeah, I've heard of serotonin. I'm usually a pretty happy person. I Never would expect this to happen to me and it really bothers me that I think about all these things in my head. I feel the feeling of "Having to confess" To him these things too! I had a doctors appointment today and she changed the dose of my medication hopefully things will start getting better for me, this has been living in hell. I feel like I'm losing my mind. Do you know how long it will take for the medication to "Kick In?" I sort of feel like I need to tell my husband EVERYTHING that I'm doing, I went out the other night with my friend and these guys she knew and I told him about it. Then I keep thinking to myself what if theres something that I should have mentioned to him that I didn't??? Even though I know I did nothing wrong, it really bothers me. I feel like I have to take a lie detector test to prove that I did nothing at all! He's so good to me and we have a normal healthy relationship. I really don't know what started all of this.

Last edited by Someone Help Me; 11-04-2010 at 11:05 PM.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:02 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Your husband sounds like a good friend and what do we usually do when we have a friend? We tell them everything!! So try not to worry or feel guilty about that. Depending on the medication it could take 2-3 weeks to kick in and a month for optimal benefit of that doseage. I am always telling my husband stuff that does not matter at all and I think, " I really didn't need to tell him that!". As long as it doesn't bug him I would not waste time worrying about it but you could think it through before you decide to tell him something. I am working on that very thing myself! Let me know how you are doing...Sincerely, searchin

Old 11-05-2010, 02:57 PM   #9
(female)

Someone Help Me HB User

Thank you so much. Does this sound like I have OCD?

Last edited by Someone Help Me; 11-12-2010 at 02:28 PM.

Closed Thread