It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2010, 11:15 PM   #1
(female)

siasia HB User
Playing with my hair

I don't pull it out, but I am constantly, constantly playing with it. I put one finger on top of the other and run my hair through it so that I can feel it on my nail. Especially when my hair is cold, it gets worse, because it feels so much better. I also twirl it. I've done this since I was small, my mom used to find it cute because my grandma did it too. But I've gone beyond cute to just plain obsessive about it.

I'm talking playing with my hair as I'm going to sleep, while I'm sleeping, when I'm watching a show, when I'm walking down the street and riding my bike. When I'm trying to study, sometimes I'll just stop and play with my hair for minutes until I realize I'm not getting any work done. I'll stop, go back to studying, and then start doing it again. It can take me an hour to write a small paragraph. Whenever I have a free hand, it seems to be in my hair. My boyfriend tries to get me to stop whenever he notices by holding my hands, but sometimes the urge is so strong that I have to go back and do it again and it's all I think about.

It's not a terrible problem, and like I said I'm not pulling it out of my head thank goodness. But, lately, it has definitely stopped me from being very productive when attempting to do work. I do it everywhere and people think I'm a bit odd for it. I don't know how to stop because every time I tell myself to stop doing it, either the urge is too strong to yield or else I get distracted by something and my hand just flies up to my hair again. I think I've paused about ten times while writing this to sit here and play with my hair.

I never thought about having OCD before but I think this is definitely not just a small habit anymore. What are the options out there, if any?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-15-2010, 11:26 AM   #2
(female)

BeachMama HB UserBeachMama HB User
Re: Playing with my hair

While it sounds like you are suffering from a very real compulsion, it does not sound like full-scale OCD based on your description. Do you have rituals such as entering and exiting a room a certain way, touching objects a certain number of times, or washing your hands an irrational number of times per day? Do you have disturbing images or thoughts running through your head? Are you plagued with guilt over minor things you did or said years ago? If any of these are true, then you may have OCD.

In any case, you have a compulsion to touch your hair and it interferes with your daily life, thus you have a true problem that you should address with your doctor.

Hope that helps a little bit.

The Following User Says Thank You to BeachMama For This Useful Post:
Natylixious (02-07-2012)
Old 12-14-2010, 09:22 AM   #3
(female)

Lovely525 HB User

My boyfriend has OCD and is constantly in my hair...he twists and twirls it and is constantly in my hair...at first I thought it was sweet but now my hair is breaking off at the ends and it gets knotted up really bad and a couple of times I have had to snip a chunk out of it...His hair twirling is so bad that he will twirl his own or even my dogs (I have a long haired dog) I never realized that the twirling could be an OCD thing but now that I am thinking about it it definitely makes sense...

I'm sorry I can't help more but I do appreciate your post...thank you for sharing and good luck with everything...

Old 12-19-2010, 02:30 PM   #4
(female)

dollydiva HB User

OMG I cannot believe I have come across someone who has the EXACT same habit as me!
I have been doing the same thing as you for as long as I can remember and I honestly thought it was only me!
I LOVE playing with my hair, I love when my hair's cold and I run it through my fingernail- I can do it for a long time and I can't stop.
Nobody seems to understand the pleasure I get from it, it feels so good and so comforting.
I love doing it and will never stop!

The Following User Says Thank You to dollydiva For This Useful Post:
havemysay48 (06-06-2012)
Closed Thread