It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2010, 07:11 AM   #1
(female)

ASNmom HB User
Eyelash pulling and finger snapping

My 7 year old daughter has been pulling out her eyelashes for a couple of months now. It started this past summer, I think she was nervous about school because it was the first year that her and her twin sister were in different classes. She tells me that she likes the way they feel in her fingers and she makes wishes on them. I have been having her wear gloves to bed and I see the lashes coming back and then gone again. She now is snapping her fingers and constantly moving her hands. She is a very fast learner and, according to her teacher, the best reader in her grade, although she does have a lot of backwards numbers and letters.
I have done some research on Trichotillomania but it doesn't account for the hands. Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:21 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: Eyelash pulling and finger snapping

Hi...it's a form of OCD and an obvious behaviour formed to ease anxiety and distress.

She needs to have it intervened as soon as possible. I suggest you go to the obsessive compulsive forum on HB and see what other information you can find.

A process of cognitive behavioural therapy can help. The fact that it calms her and she likes the feeling of it in her fingers means it's not just the pulling but the after effects as well on a physical level.

As a child, intervention is necessary because she will only continue to develop other means to deal with her distress.....

She should, however, have a thorough check-up, especially Vitamin D and thyroid. Take a look at her food intake, her physical activity level, etc. She might not be "busy" enough physically...that does help with stress.

There is an amino acid called L-theanine. Look into it, for it can help with anxiety. I have anxiety and depression, although not on an extreme level. I started using it over the past 2 months and I have noticed my motivation level has increased as well as my "calmness" and patience on many levels. I use the Natural Factors 150 mg. a few times a day if I think about it, and one at night before bedtime.
They do use it for pets as well...so maybe that could be helpful in part of the change process for your daughter.

quincy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-13-2010, 09:51 AM   #3
(female)

HeavenlyDesire HB User

ive had trichotillomania since i was 14 and i am now 23...it has been rough and horrible...i find mine to be out of boredom or stress related. I pull my eyebrows and eyelashes. Ive been also told that i do it in my sleep as well. It was so bad that my eyebrows are now tattooed on they look fabulous but i wish i had my natural ones and my eyelashes i disquise with makeup that i now have down to a art. Coming from experience its going to take alot not just medication and therapy. If you dont nip it in the butt now its going to cause her so much pain as she gets older. First things first..understand that its a disorder and its hard for her to stop. and most of the time she wont know shes been doing it. 2. keep her occupied and hands moving, have a reward program. 3. keep tweezers away from her and keep her nails as short at possible! 4. when she does pull and shows u dont give no reaction tell her that its ok! for a major reaction always caused me more anxiety to pull!. 5. be very supportive!

Old 03-10-2011, 02:55 PM   #4
(female)

infolas HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASNmom View Post
My 7 year old daughter has been pulling out her eyelashes for a couple of months now. It started this past summer, I think she was nervous about school because it was the first year that her and her twin sister were in different classes. She tells me that she likes the way they feel in her fingers and she makes wishes on them. I have been having her wear gloves to bed and I see the lashes coming back and then gone again. She now is snapping her fingers and constantly moving her hands. She is a very fast learner and, according to her teacher, the best reader in her grade, although she does have a lot of backwards numbers and letters.
I have done some research on Trichotillomania but it doesn't account for the hands. Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Dear Mom:
I cannot account for the finger snapping, but can say as a sufferer of the eyelash puling it took a long time and a lot of research to find out what sort of went wrong. When I was nine I had a extremely frightening event occur and when I went to seek help from my mother she thought I was lying. Within about a month of this incident this eyelash pulling started. For years when I searched for the causes I came accross trichtillomania but those sufferers eat their hair and this was not the case for me. Do not be alarmed that a frighteneing experience happened to your daughter as what is frighteneing to her may not be frighteneing to someone else. I did not even remember the actual event until I was in my late thirties because I pushed it to a place so I could not remember. I read a book that also gave some insight in to hair pulling that is caused by some underlying anxiety called the Eileen Franklin story. Read this book but then realize that this behavior could be caused by something that is so simple like a divorce or separation from a loved one that gives security or some other experience that caused anxiety to start and not stop. Try to make this child feel secure and maybe see if you can get this person to talk about things that happened around the time the eyelash pulling started. I am not a Doctor but can sympathize with you. Good Luck
Infolas

Closed Thread