It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2010, 06:50 PM   #1
(female)

libragirl1986 HB User
Debilitating Jealous Thoughts Ruining All of My Relationships

I am having a real hard time recently with my OCD tendencies and my obsessive jealous thoughts are verging on ruining my current relationship. When I was younger I had obsessive tendencies that were manifested through my school work. I was, I guess you could say overly driven to be number one in my classes. I also had a few minor rituals when I was a kid, but they did not disrupt my life at all. Overall I was a very confident and happy kid growing up. Then when I was seventeen I had my first boyfriend. I was an only child and was extremely naive, and my parents were extremely generous people and treated him like he was part of the family. We didn't know that he had a criminal record of raping a girl at the age of seventeen, and was a complete sociopath. I was with him for 3 years and he was very controlling, manipulative and sexually abusive. He often made many comments about other women and compared my body to theirs in very crude ways, even if he claimed I was more attractive. After this relationship ended, it seemed to trigger severe depression and anxiety in me and exhausting obsessive jealous thoughts (especially and almost exclusively when I was in relationships). I saw a cognitive behavioral therapist and was put on a variety of antidepressants and finally now after three years have just come off of effexor XR. While I was in therapy I talked with my therapist about these jealous thoughts but not to a great extent and I was mainly treated for depression. I felt that I had conquered all my demons regarding this, but now that I have been off of the medicine for about 2 months I am experiencing these thoughts as intense as ever. I have the most loyal and trustworthy/kindhearted guy who I know loves me deeply and is even wanting to be there for me during this time, however I constantly have jealous thoughts of him thinking about girls as they walk by or developing feelings for someone else and leaving me. This is only a few of the thoughts that I have. When I think these thoughts I experience great rage and disgust and it usually causes me to lash out at him unfairly, which then makes me feel even worse about myself and feel tremendous guilt and wonder why and how he could ever want me. Even when I don't lash out at him and I try to overcome the jealous thoughts in my head it is unbearable and exhausting. Right now, I am trying a new method of "separating" myself from the "thinker" in me and simply watch the thoughts as they go by instead of believing in the thoughts and buying into them, however it is proving to be virtually impossible to control my thoughts in this way. I am hoping it is possible for me to overcome this without medication but I am doubtful right now. I love my boyfriend more than anything in the world and I know he is the one and I feel horrible for putting him through this. I don't want to ruin another relationship because I can't get my thoughts and fears under control, because we both want to be together forever and feel as though our personalities click like soul mates. I am desperate and feel I cannot survive a life like this, feeling continually drained and panic-stricken. Can anyone relate to this or has anyone conquered this?

The following user gives a hug of support to libragirl1986:
mizzmiller1013 (11-24-2010)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2010, 09:14 AM   #2
(female)

recovering HB User
Re: Debilitating Jealous Thoughts Ruining All of My Relationships

Quote:
Originally Posted by libragirl1986 View Post
I am having a real hard time recently with my OCD tendencies and my obsessive jealous thoughts are verging on ruining my current relationship. When I was younger I had obsessive tendencies that were manifested through my school work. I was, I guess you could say overly driven to be number one in my classes. I also had a few minor rituals when I was a kid, but they did not disrupt my life at all. Overall I was a very confident and happy kid growing up. Then when I was seventeen I had my first boyfriend. I was an only child and was extremely naive, and my parents were extremely generous people and treated him like he was part of the family. We didn't know that he had a criminal record of raping a girl at the age of seventeen, and was a complete sociopath. I was with him for 3 years and he was very controlling, manipulative and sexually abusive. He often made many comments about other women and compared my body to theirs in very crude ways, even if he claimed I was more attractive. After this relationship ended, it seemed to trigger severe depression and anxiety in me and exhausting obsessive jealous thoughts (especially and almost exclusively when I was in relationships). I saw a cognitive behavioral therapist and was put on a variety of antidepressants and finally now after three years have just come off of effexor XR. While I was in therapy I talked with my therapist about these jealous thoughts but not to a great extent and I was mainly treated for depression. I felt that I had conquered all my demons regarding this, but now that I have been off of the medicine for about 2 months I am experiencing these thoughts as intense as ever. I have the most loyal and trustworthy/kindhearted guy who I know loves me deeply and is even wanting to be there for me during this time, however I constantly have jealous thoughts of him thinking about girls as they walk by or developing feelings for someone else and leaving me. This is only a few of the thoughts that I have. When I think these thoughts I experience great rage and disgust and it usually causes me to lash out at him unfairly, which then makes me feel even worse about myself and feel tremendous guilt and wonder why and how he could ever want me. Even when I don't lash out at him and I try to overcome the jealous thoughts in my head it is unbearable and exhausting. Right now, I am trying a new method of "separating" myself from the "thinker" in me and simply watch the thoughts as they go by instead of believing in the thoughts and buying into them, however it is proving to be virtually impossible to control my thoughts in this way. I am hoping it is possible for me to overcome this without medication but I am doubtful right now. I love my boyfriend more than anything in the world and I know he is the one and I feel horrible for putting him through this. I don't want to ruin another relationship because I can't get my thoughts and fears under control, because we both want to be together forever and feel as though our personalities click like soul mates. I am desperate and feel I cannot survive a life like this, feeling continually drained and panic-stricken. Can anyone relate to this or has anyone conquered this?
I can absolutely relate to this. I've gotten a lot better but I am also taking zoloft which I believe evens out my moods a little. Lately I've been thinking that my fear has come from my father. He was an alcoholic and very violent to others in front of us kids. He was also violent to my brother. He never sexually abused us but would bring hookers into the bunk bed just above us. Then when I was older I had a child with a man who was very much the same as my father. There were many times he wouldn't come home and I'd hear that he had been at a party, I would just sit at the window with my son by my side, wait and cry. When he did come home he was very obsessively jealous, mentally abusive and sometimes physically abusive. when my son was 2 1/2 I finally left him. Unfortunately my son has this problem too so I think I transferred that fear to him and also gave him a father just like mine. Uuugghh!!! I lost my father at age 12 and my brother when I was about 28. Any man who didn't accept my son I'd dump, his father would say he would come to pick him up to see him and he never would. I think I've always been abandoned in someway or another by men in my life. Whether I was being cheated on or they have died or were just abusive. I've decided recently that because I can't see the difference between a look and cheating that I just need to trust. When I have an anxiety attack or a dream that my spouse is cheating I have to trust. Its been a long journey for me to figure out this problem and I know I have to trust instead of checking or asking for reassurance. I'm tired of living my fear everyday. I'm tired of wishing i'd catch him cheating so I wouldn't have to feel this way any longer. I take it day by day and regardless of what caused it I still have the same issues you do. Now I catch myself as I realize I'm heading into it, its good to stop it right away because ruminating makes it much worse. I wish you the best and I am hear if you need a friend. I really, really understand.

Closed Thread