It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board


Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2010, 03:06 PM   #1
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: England
Posts: 7
CitizenErased HB User
Beginning to think I may have OCD

I know you probably get loads of these "I think I have OCD" posts but bah, I would like to have another opinion.

I've always classed it as just being fussy, but I researched OCD and evidently... that may not be the case.

I do not like germs... who does? But when I have to fill the dishwasher, for example, and something drips on my hand, I'm almost in tears before washing my hands. I have to wash things myself even if I've just seen them coming out of the dishwasher as well.

I cannot touch public doors, anywhere, I'll open them with my elbow and remember for the rest of the day exactly where I touched that door. I can't touch tables in public places without feeling uncomfortable and remembering exactly where I touched the table until I get to a sink to wash my hands in. I also wash my hands an awful lot, and in Winter that gets a bit annoying as my skin gets very dry.

If I find a spot or a mark on my arm/leg/face/anywhere really, I will pick at it to get rid of it, but usually it just bleeds and gets worse, and therefore the obsession with getting rid of it gets worse.

I repeat things to get it to feel "just right." If I turn around to face someone, it might not feel right, so I turn around again or something, and I blink an awful lot until it feels "right."

If I get something wrong I panic if I can't start again.

I can't let foods touch on the plate, or if they do, I separate them before eating them. Sweetcorn must not be eaten with anything, nor must peas, rice, ANYTHING. Also, I can't get over the fact foods with weird textures mustn't be eaten.

I have to create the same pressure on one side of my body as the other, for example, if someone high fives my left hand, I have to create a similar sensation on my right hand (either by tapping a wall, or scratching the palm of my hands.)

I like counting things for no reason, or noticing patterns in ridiculous things.

I tend to chew/bite the skin next to my nails (I know there is a term for this... Dermato-something)

When I put them into writing, it seems rather a lot. Are these relatively normal things for a human being? I always thought they were until recently ><

Last edited by CitizenErased; 12-04-2010 at 03:14 PM.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 12-05-2010, 04:45 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 306
eddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB User
Re: Beginning to think I may have OCD

Unfortunately, it sounds like OCD to me. I do alot of things like you do and have been since I was a child. It can really drive you nuts. I find when I am very stressed or upset, it triggers my OCD even worse than normal. Do you find this the case for yourself?

Please know you are not alone, and post here to let us know how you are doing, I am a great listener and would love to help in any way I can.


 
Old 12-07-2010, 10:29 AM   #3
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: England
Posts: 7
CitizenErased HB User
Re: Beginning to think I may have OCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddysmom1 View Post
Unfortunately, it sounds like OCD to me. I do alot of things like you do and have been since I was a child. It can really drive you nuts. I find when I am very stressed or upset, it triggers my OCD even worse than normal. Do you find this the case for yourself?

Please know you are not alone, and post here to let us know how you are doing, I am a great listener and would love to help in any way I can.

Thanks for replying, and I do tend to find the aversion to germs becomes worse when I'm stressed, but I've never stopped to think about any of the others.

I'm just wondering where to go from here... My mum has said she thinks I probably have a form of it, but more in a joking manner than anything else, and I have the feeling if I raise the issue she'll tell me to stop over thinking the matter or making too much out of it.

 
Old 12-07-2010, 12:59 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 306
eddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB User
Re: Beginning to think I may have OCD

Are you of the age where, if you wanted to go to a doctor, you would need your Mom's consent?

 
Old 12-07-2010, 11:29 PM   #5
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: England
Posts: 7
CitizenErased HB User
Re: Beginning to think I may have OCD

I'm fifteen, I think it is possible to just go to the doctor, though. However, it's rather out of character for me to just take off out of the house with the excuse of "I'm going out" so I can go to the doctor... I don't tend to go that often WITH a a parent, let alone without out.

 
Old 12-08-2010, 04:13 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 306
eddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB User
Re: Beginning to think I may have OCD

I would just ask your parents if they could take you to a psychologist, or licensed therapist so that you could explore the OCD with a professional. Tell your Mom you really want to go and to the extent you have the OCD--she may understand and agree to take you.

I wouldn't go to any doctor without my parents, if I were you, though. Your parents need to know what is going on.

 
Old 12-09-2010, 01:47 PM   #7
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: England
Posts: 7
CitizenErased HB User
Re: Beginning to think I may have OCD

I told my mum about it, and again, I don't think she thinks I'm serious, she said something along the lines of "I think you have some weird obsessions," and told me "If it gets worse and you start getting like Carol [an adopted family member who was a manic depressive] I'm not having it."

I told her it isn't a conscious choice, doing these things, as in, when I can't bring myself to touch something it's not me thinking "Right, I don't think I'll touch this object," she told me that even if it's not a conscious choice, I should be able to make a conscious choice to get over it.

Bah, I explained I wanted to "explore OCD" with a view to overcoming whatever it is. She said some flippant remark about thinking I'm insane and that was about it.

What a productive conversation. Where to go from here?

Last edited by CitizenErased; 12-09-2010 at 01:47 PM.

 
Old 12-09-2010, 03:14 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 306
eddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB Usereddysmom1 HB User
Re: Beginning to think I may have OCD

Oh boy, that is a tough situation. Do you any other family member that may be able to help you out with this?

 
Old 12-09-2010, 03:30 PM   #9
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 21
recovering HB User
Re: Beginning to think I may have OCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenErased View Post
I told my mum about it, and again, I don't think she thinks I'm serious, she said something along the lines of "I think you have some weird obsessions," and told me "If it gets worse and you start getting like Carol [an adopted family member who was a manic depressive] I'm not having it."

I told her it isn't a conscious choice, doing these things, as in, when I can't bring myself to touch something it's not me thinking "Right, I don't think I'll touch this object," she told me that even if it's not a conscious choice, I should be able to make a conscious choice to get over it.

Bah, I explained I wanted to "explore OCD" with a view to overcoming whatever it is. She said some flippant remark about thinking I'm insane and that was about it.

What a productive conversation. Where to go from here?
I know how you feel; my only confidant says the exact same thing to me, that I just think I'm crazy. I'm sorry you're having to go through that. I would recommend to read about exposure and response therapy and try to stop the compulsions; you'll feel a ton better. Good luck!

 
Old 12-09-2010, 11:26 PM   #10
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: England
Posts: 7
CitizenErased HB User
Re: Beginning to think I may have OCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddysmom1 View Post
Oh boy, that is a tough situation. Do you any other family member that may be able to help you out with this?
Not really, we have 5 members of our family excluding me.


Quote:
Originally Posted by recovering View Post
I know how you feel; my only confidant says the exact same thing to me, that I just think I'm crazy. I'm sorry you're having to go through that. I would recommend to read about exposure and response therapy and try to stop the compulsions; you'll feel a ton better. Good luck!
Thanks, I'll do some reading up on it!

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
I think my OCD is coming back. What do I do? Gwenneth Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) 8 06-13-2005 10:08 AM
I think I may have OCD fallen_5555 Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) 6 12-06-2004 09:14 AM
don't you think that... jianlian Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) 4 06-07-2004 06:00 AM
Do you think it's possible that I have OCD? gogocrazy Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) 81 02-10-2004 07:49 AM
I think I've got ocd symptoms. Mission_Void Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) 2 01-31-2004 03:28 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:22 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!