It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2010, 07:15 PM   #1
(male)

Eagle76 HB User
Is this OCD or Something else???

OK. I feel like Iím about to have a heart attack. Iíve posted on this forum before for advice but the anxiety is so severe right now. I need some help. Iím going to go see a councilor at my college this Friday so hopefully he can help me get some relief. Iím a 22 year old male who is in his junior year of college studying history and secondary education. Iíve suffered from moderate OCD since the age of 5: Afraid of getting cancer, afraid of parents dying, afraid of turning gay, etc. Iím mostly a ďpure-oĒ type and most of my compulsions involve reassurance seeking, checking on-line for information over and over again, counting rituals in the head and various repeating rituals like sitting down and standing up several times in a row or repeatedly getting in and out of bed, etc. I went through a break-up with a girl I really liked in August and since September Iíve had a truly distressing and frightening possible obsession going through my head. Iím afraid that Iím supposed to become a Catholic priest. Iím a practicing Catholic and I take my faith seriously. Iíve been asked by 4 priests over the last few years to consider going into the priesthood. I was asked this by a priest in September and since that time Iíve been asking myself if I REALLY want to get married or be a priest. At first it seemed mostly obvious that this was an obsession and that I wanted marriage since Iíve always wanted to get married and have always thought about having kids someday. The problem is that now I honestly have no idea what I want anymore! I donít know if I want marriage or the priesthood. Both seem attractive to me and I could probably do well in both areas. I get VERY nervous on dates with girls now. I like dating but I have a tremendous fear that I donít want to date anymore and that I only wanted a girlfriend as a sort of ďstatus symbolĒ and nothing more. Why the hell do I find the priesthood somewhat attractive? Am I kidding myself? ****! This is awful! I feel trapped, caught and very afraid. Why have I lost my desire for girls, I feel numb around them, like I have no more romantic feeling. I think Iím wanting to become a priest but I wish it wasnít so! God damn it, this is torture! Iím going to go insane! Why do I feel like I want the priesthood and donít want a wife? Do those priests see something in me that I donít? Am I kidding myself? Am I just afraid of never having sex even though it might not be that big of a deal? God, F my life! Iíve lost interest in most things that I once found enjoyable to do and I feel like Iíll never be my happy self again. Am I just afraid of the priesthood and I need to ďtake the plungeĒ or is this OCD? My mind and some of my feelings are saying that I want to be a priest and I feel afraid of getting married but I wish I didnít feel this way. OH THIS IS SO CONFUSING AND TORMENTING!!! Please, please help me!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread