It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2010, 03:58 PM   #1
(male)

Cozimafighta HB User
Fear of Success ? OCD

Hi all,

As ridiculous as this sounds, has anyone ever experienced a fear of success?
Everytime something positive happens in my life ( financially ) or in terms of personal growth and happiness i get a sudden terrible feeling in my mind/stomache that something terrible will happen and i'll lose whatever it is i'm happy about!

For example, i received a promotion recently and in the split second i heard the exciting news i experienced a very negative feeling in my stomache that made me feel like one day this will be taken away and all will turn to doom.

It's like a demon waiting to take my happiness away everytime, it's hard to explain it sometimes but if feels terrible and i can't enjoy my life even though i've worked hard to achieve it all. Feels like i'm unworthy of success ..

Feels terrible - if anyone has similar feelings please shed some light because i feel alone with this one.

Thanks,

Chris

p.s. psych is helping me however i'd like to hear if anyone else has this issue with ocd.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:53 PM   #2
(female)

recovering HB User
Re: Fear of Success ? OCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozimafighta View Post
Hi all,

As ridiculous as this sounds, has anyone ever experienced a fear of success?
Everytime something positive happens in my life ( financially ) or in terms of personal growth and happiness i get a sudden terrible feeling in my mind/stomache that something terrible will happen and i'll lose whatever it is i'm happy about!

For example, i received a promotion recently and in the split second i heard the exciting news i experienced a very negative feeling in my stomache that made me feel like one day this will be taken away and all will turn to doom.

It's like a demon waiting to take my happiness away everytime, it's hard to explain it sometimes but if feels terrible and i can't enjoy my life even though i've worked hard to achieve it all. Feels like i'm unworthy of success ..

Feels terrible - if anyone has similar feelings please shed some light because i feel alone with this one.

Thanks,

Chris

p.s. psych is helping me however i'd like to hear if anyone else has this issue with ocd.
I have felt this way; that I would fail at success, that I couldn't live up to the standard, that I convinced other people that I was smarter than i really was or they just thought I was smarter or more capable than I was. As you're on the way up the ladder you might be nervous but it will pass; you'll adjust. Just look back at how far you've come, this is just the next step. You may feel this way again and you'll know how to handle it. I have found what I have felt was success, moved forward, had to take a step backward, moved forward again and found what I feel is success again. Sometimes when I feel that I'm not acheiving enough I remember where I started from and it makes me smile; its really OK to go through strong emotions. Give yourself a pat on the back and try to enjoy it. Congratulations!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-21-2010, 03:51 PM   #3
(male)

Cozimafighta HB User
Re: Fear of Success ? OCD

thanks recovering! in know ocd is with me for life but this new RIDICULOUS spike is really affecting me and getting me down. Most people would think i'm crazy because happiness and successful events usually go hand in hand . Yet when i experience a successful event , i worry about it coming to a terrible end or losing what i gained in the first place
;(

Closed Thread