It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2010, 11:16 PM   #1
(male)

rockermatt HB User
Rilutek(Riluzole)

Hello there. My doctor has recently decided to put me on Rilutek for treatment-resistant OCD. I've tried countless SSRIs, atypical antidepressants, tricyclic antidepressants, benzodiazepines, antipsychotics, and what have you. The only medication that has ever shown to be effective in helping me to "manage" my OCD was Anafranil. However, that medication (both brand name and generic) has since become a hazard to my health. I was on an extremely low dose of it (25 mg) for quite a few years and it had provided me with significant relief from the obsessive thoughts and anxiety. However, after prolonged usage of the drug, I had developed a blood disorder known as Immune Thrombocytopenic Purpura (ITP) of which basically my immune system would drastically destroy my body's platelets.

Anyways, for those of you who may be unfamiliar with Rilutek, it is generally prescribed to treat and prolong the damage caused by Lou Gehrig's Disease (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis/ALS). It short, it basically limits the amount of "glutamate" in the brain. Glutamate is one of the brain's main neurotransmitters. In people with ALS, higher levels of glutamate can injure or burn out nerve cells. Recent studies at Yale over the past few years have shown there to be some success in using it to treat anxiety and mood disorders. The theory behind this is that some brain cells may leak excessive amounts of glutamate which could contribute to the development of depressions and a variety of anxiety and mood disorders. However, these off table uses have not been approved by the FDA, and therefore not much is known on its effectiveness in treating other conditions outside of ALS.

I have been through living hell over the last few years since my relapse. It has significantly affected my functioning, my social relationships, and my overall happiness. I've had to take some time off from college as I haven't been able to concentrate. I'm desperate at this point. I was wondering if anyone here has had any success with anti-glutamate drugs such as this or Namenda in treating their OCD? I've also noticed this drug can some pretty heavy side effects in otherwise healthy people, especially involving liver functioning. I have not started taking this yet as I am understandably a bit apprehensive given these risks.

I would appreciate any feedback.

Thank you,

Matt

< edited >

Best of luck to you all in dealing with this terrible condition.

Last edited by hb-mod; 12-27-2010 at 04:06 AM. Reason: Please don't post unapproved websites, per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread