It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2011, 08:43 PM   #1
(male)

thatoneguy8888 HB User
please help me

hi i'm new to this site and i am just looking for reassurance right now actually..
heres my story:

over the past few years i have obsessive thoughts of going crazy and hurting other people. this started early in my high school career and would cause frequent panic attacks throughout the week. i talked to a psych at one point in high school for a brief period of time, but was too afraid of telling him about my thoughts because i was afraid he would want to institutionalize me on the spot.
these thoughts slowly started going away until this year, my sophomore year of college. at one point the thoughts consumed every moment of my day, every single second. i couldn't escape them. until one night i had a dream that caused my constant anxiety to be diverted to another fear.

i had a dream that i was gay, woke up to having a panic attack, and had myself convinced i was gay by that night. it was debilitating. i was supposed to go over to a friends house for dinner, but couldn't because i was so scared something was wrong.

the thing that bothered me was, i knew i wasn't gay, but couldn't figure out why i was obsessively thinking i was.

right before my "dream" i began seeing a psychologist. i told her my problems and said that, since i was aware of my problems, and was scared of my thoughts, that i obviously was not going to be going crazy anytime soon.

i am now on lexapro and am trying to deal with my anxiety problems.

although i am on medication now, i started thinking, (which i OBVIOUSLY do way too much of) what if when im on my medication, the anxiety goes away, therefore my thoughts become okay with me, and i end up doing something stupid. which will eventually cause the anxiety to set in all over again.

basically im on here because. im still having scary thoughts, but they arent causing the anxiety like they used to, making me think that i could mess up one day. then it makes me wonder if i really do have other problems.

or is it because i've had the obsessive thoughts for so long that im just used to having them and so they haven't gone away just yet because ive only been treated for 2 months.

basically i just need some help, because i definitely don't to turn into a sociopath or psychopath.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2011, 09:44 AM   #2
(female)

essie49 HB User
Re: please help me

I know exactly how you feel and I'm still trying to get through it but here are 2 tips that have helped me rationalize some of my problems.

1) First off, if you're anxious about the absence of anxiety, that's still anxiety. I know that I hold on to a lot of my anxious feelings because they're evidence of it being a anxiety problem and me not being crazy. But when I panic about not being anxious, it's still that same feeling I get when i have a anxiety episode. This is why OCD sucks, its pretty much self sustaining.

2) Have you ever been sad when watching a movie where a dog or human dies? That's empathy, sociopaths and psychopaths don't feel that.

Try to keep your mind occupied with things other than your thoughts. Practice mindfulness (thinking in the moment). If you need something to do while watching tv do a puzzle or learn a craft (men can knit too!).

Old 01-06-2011, 10:19 AM   #3
(male)

pineapple798 HB User
Re: please help me

Hi i have similar thoughts on a daily basis but an an ex police officer i have learnt to control my anger. I have recently been diagonosed with bi polar disorder, perhaps you need to speak to a health professional about that, unless they have ruled that out already. Good luck.

Closed Thread