It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2011, 07:09 PM   #1
(male)

ps1508 HB User
mental contamination

hello, i found this on a different message board and it explains what i am going through perfectly, and i want to know if anyone can help or relate. thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by ;10306
ok many people have a fear of physical contamination, germs, etc....and I know mental contamination has been discussed. I'm curious who can relate to the following.

It happens during positive things/things that are longterm.

For example, purchasing something youve wanted. Somehow, if you have a negative thought before, during, or after the purchase, the thing you bought, becomes "contaminated". Everytime you think of whatever you purchased, it somehow becomes affiliated with it and becomes a reminder. It then ofcourse sabotages your pleasing thought of your new purchase, and just spoils everything.

Ofcourse, as irrational as it is (or all this for that matter), being compulsive and re-doing the action with a clear head will relieve any anxiety, and everything is ok. But what makes this tough, is you can't re-do it and the nagging can be longterm.

Sounds kind of complex, but its really simple.

When you turn off the lights a dozen times attempting to do it with a clear head, the nagging is about an "incorrect action." In this case, the nagging becomes about an "incorrect item" (whatever you purchased).

Bizarre huh?

Old 01-14-2011, 11:10 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: mental contamination

It is a great explanation of such a difficult disorder to live with. It shows how the repetition is used to calm the mind, but at the same time becoming impossible to calm, the more attempts that are made.

I so not share your disorder, but I do offer you my support and hope you find the answers you are looking for. I have the greatest respect for those who are living with such an intrusion into a simple quiet moment.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-14-2011, 11:19 PM   #3
(male)

ps1508 HB User

yes, it is quite frustrating. like my case might not be as hard as some others, but nonetheless it isn't fun. like the other day i spent 60$ on a video game, and now i cant even play it because that contaminated feeling bothers me, and then i am always thinking about. however i have had these problems before and eventually it goes away, but sometimes it doesn't. does this sound like a case of some sort of OCD to you?

Old 01-14-2011, 11:21 PM   #4
(male)

ps1508 HB User

also, thank you for responding and thank you for wishing me help

Old 01-15-2011, 09:12 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Quite welcome, I hope you will get other responses that are more helpful. Best to you, and sorry about the video game. Have you ever had treatment?

The Following User Says Thank You to writeleft For This Useful Post:
ps1508 (01-15-2011)
Old 01-15-2011, 10:56 PM   #6
(male)

ps1508 HB User

thank you its not even about the video game, its just that it gets to you, and you cant enjoy it. and no i have not had treatment, but i am considering talking to a councillor at my university. i never really thought of it to much in the past, but i think its something that i should try getting cleared up. and now that i think about, a few of my family members have OCD im pretty sure and i remember ALWAYS stressing out over things when i was small, and i would constantly worry about getting diseases and such. not so much anymore though.
and im sorry for giving you a whole lifes story, its just nice that someone responded to my question

Old 01-16-2011, 01:23 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

My pleasure. I would certainly encourage you to seek counseling, especially if it is available at your university. While you are seeking your educational goals, it is a perfect match to include personal growth.

Many times the stress of college is fertile grounds for any underlying issues to jump in front, and distract us from our job at hand.

Much of the treatment involves self education, feedback and guidance from trained professionals. and lots of practice. When left untreated, OCD tends to escalate and interfere with your life.

Once you gain control of one bothersome reaction, and find success in managing it. your power over OCD will increase ten fold. For example, if you were to bring the subject of the mental contamination to the therapist he/she would likely break the whole process down into pieces that are small enough to digest and work on. This would be a goal driven process, that could show your successes in a real way,

Once you have mastered a bit of this, your confidence will shoot through the roof and your whole way of approaching it would change for the better.

I would also encourage you to focus on maintaining a positive attitude through this process, as well as your college years and beyond. I honestly used a positive outlook to bring myself back from the edge of death. I had to overcome tremendous medical challenges to be here today, and I cannot emphasize what a huge part of any recovery our attitudes play.

I wish this for you. You mentioned that you think OCD runs through your family. What a great gift you could share with your OCD relatives, once you master your own, Break the code and set yourself free!

Old 01-16-2011, 12:41 PM   #8
(male)

ps1508 HB User

i thank you so much for your words, and suggestions. everything you said makes so much sense and i honestly do appreciate the time you took to respond.
and i should also mention that i am very glad that everything had worked out for you. it seems like you went through a lot and you know what you are talking about. i wish you all the best as well and i hope things continue to work out for you .
once again thank you very much and i will definitely consider everything you said and try to seek help.
thank you

Old 01-16-2011, 02:48 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

I have learned all these things in the last 8 years, while I have been recovering from 4 strokes, kidney failure, heart attack, anxiety and depression, as well as other related medical issues. I could not talk, walk, remember, or even think straight for years following my strokes.

We all have our monsters in the closet, but here is not anything that can stop you when you want it enough. You can do this, and find happiness in every day. I am behind you 100%. You are welcome to anything I know...Your thanks are more than enough, in fact they have made me feel so good. I feel as though I have been blessed with a secret that works for everyone I can reach.
I have found some wonderful people here that have inspired me and moved me.

Attitude is the key my friend...

Old 01-16-2011, 05:51 PM   #10
(male)

ps1508 HB User

wow, i cannot comprehend how difficult that must have been, i really cant! i applaud you and your recovery. and i wish you the best.
thank you very much for everything and ill try to keep you informed on any treatment, if that isnt a bother.
thank you

Old 01-18-2011, 04:00 PM   #11
(female)

cremenoir HB User

When I start finding myself obsessing over things like this, I try to keep in mind that sometimes in life, good things can come from bad things. So maybe the circumstances aren't perfect, but hey, maybe that's the way fate intended it to be. If I hadn't grown up with OCD (bad thing), I wouldn't have become such a strong and self-aware person (good thing). Remember that perfection is boring. Quirks and screw-ups and "contamination" make life interesting. (I keep telling myself that...

Old 01-18-2011, 04:44 PM   #12
(male)

ps1508 HB User

that makes a lot of sense! thank you very much for your words, it is very true . nothing in life is perfect and through difficult times, we learn and become more aware and stronger
thank you

Closed Thread