It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2011, 05:53 AM   #1
(female)

tarada HB User
trichotillomania

I developed trich when I was 10-11 years old. I had plucked myself bald by the middle of 5th grade. my hair didn't completely grow back until 8th grade.

Is there anyone out there who has this disorder, too? I have only met one person in my life who's had it. I'd like to know if anyone on here does, or even if anyone here knows a person who has it. How do you cope? Do you have any tricks or ideas that you use to keep yourself from pulling your hair out when the urges show up?

I've tried explaining this to my mother, but she doesn't understand. I almost wonder if she refuses to understand. She'll only ask why on earth would I want to pull my hair out? It's the hardest thing to explain to someone that it's an urge you can't control. It's the same premise as drug addiction, if you think about it. You know it's destructive, you know it's affecting your life negatively, but it is very, very difficult to manage and you have no control over when the urges will pop up.

Anything that anyone could post to help me feel like I'm not alone would be priceless to me. After 12 years of silence and suffering, I want to reach out for support....

The following user gives a hug of support to tarada:
michael john (05-15-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2011, 04:05 PM   #2
(female)

Sookey HB User
Re: trichotillomania

Hi, I am 51 and have had trich since I was 9 !! Pretty much like you I began when I was 9, my dad was very sick and then passed away when I was 11 (can you think of a trigger?). For me I think this is like being an alcoholic, I may stop for a while, but if I pull out one hair, I am back to it. I also have alopecia so my hair has never fully grown back. Feel free to talk to me, take care

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarada View Post
I developed trich when I was 10-11 years old. I had plucked myself bald by the middle of 5th grade. my hair didn't completely grow back until 8th grade.

Is there anyone out there who has this disorder, too? I have only met one person in my life who's had it. I'd like to know if anyone on here does, or even if anyone here knows a person who has it. How do you cope? Do you have any tricks or ideas that you use to keep yourself from pulling your hair out when the urges show up?

I've tried explaining this to my mother, but she doesn't understand. I almost wonder if she refuses to understand. She'll only ask why on earth would I want to pull my hair out? It's the hardest thing to explain to someone that it's an urge you can't control. It's the same premise as drug addiction, if you think about it. You know it's destructive, you know it's affecting your life negatively, but it is very, very difficult to manage and you have no control over when the urges will pop up.

Anything that anyone could post to help me feel like I'm not alone would be priceless to me. After 12 years of silence and suffering, I want to reach out for support....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2011, 07:12 PM   #3
(female)

girlonamission HB User
Re: trichotillomania

I am 32 and have had problems with it in relation with my anxiety... started in my teens... and my cousin also has it. I pull out the hair on my arms, and she pulls out her eyelashes. We didn't even realize each other had a problem with it until a few years ago! There are lots of people out there who have this behavior but don't realize it as a "problem" until they learn differently... they just live with it. Hang in there, it is a real problem. Cognitive behavioral therapy and medications have helped me immensely! Good luck.

Closed Thread