It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2011, 04:20 PM   #1
(female)

earlybirdmom HB User
help have both ocd and adhd

I have ocd, adhd, and a learning disability my doctor has me on 30 mg of adderall xr, in the morning and 60 mg strattera at night, this is making my ocd worse I have tired adderall and strattera alone and didn't like the results so the doctor combined the two in hopes that it would help both my ocd and adhd. But I feel it helps my adhd but my ocd worse, has anyone found a good combination of drugs to help both ocd and adhd?

Old 02-13-2011, 09:42 PM   #2
(female)

ObsessivelySane HB User
Re: help have both ocd and adhd

I have both OCD and ADHD as well.
I was on strattera for about 6 years and took it once every day. I stopped taking it 2 years ago and it seemed to lessen my OCD a bit. I can't think of any other way to phrase that. But I know what your saying, it felt like it counteracted my OCD and made it worse, but it helped my ADHD tremendously.
I can't give much advice on medication because I, myself, am looking for a drug that controls my ADHD and my OCD as well. Or at least two seperate ones that work well together.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2011, 05:03 AM   #3
(female)

earlybirdmom HB User

I found one it is wellbutrin xl it is for depression but it can help ocd,adhd,and a lot more things. If you goggle it you can find all about it, I think the starting dose is 150mg.

Old 02-14-2011, 02:49 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

digmusic HB Userdigmusic HB Userdigmusic HB Userdigmusic HB User

Wellbutrin will not help OCD and may even make it worse. OCD is related to a serotonin deficiency and so you need an SSRI to treat that, like Prozac, Luvox, Paxil, Zoloft. Wellbutrin works on your dopamine and norepinephrine receptors.

I have these two conditions as well. I used to take adderall, which floods the brain with dopamine, and it definitely made OCD a lot worse because Adderall makes you focus intensely, and the last thing you need when you have OCD is to focus on something even more.

I would think you'd need to take two different medications for these conditions, like an SSRI + wellbutrin or + strattera. I don't know if there are contraindications between these medicines or not. With something like adderall, it's so strong that I'm not sure if an SSRI would continue to help or not. I'd take something less strong for ADD. In the end, maybe it will be about which condition is worse for you and affects your quality of life more.

*I just read through some old posts here about Wellbutrin, and most people said it did not help their OCD, but one or two people said they thought it had helped them, so maybe it's worth a shot. Don't expect too much though.

Last edited by digmusic; 02-14-2011 at 02:54 PM.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:13 AM   #5
(female)

earlybirdmom HB User

thank you guys for the advice I went to my doctor and he kept me on adderall and gave wellbutrin xl 150 mg. He wants me to try both cause most of my anxiety comes from being depressed and not happy for many years.

Closed Thread