It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2011, 05:52 PM   #1
(male)

Grotesque HB User
Exessive Guilt linked to (OCD)? Help?

I don't know what to say really. Since the end of November i've had problems with excessive guilt. It's ruining my life. I hate it, and I don't know but it's making me hate me. It started when I got a tattoo relating to Spider-man, and then it got me thinking about some things I did that wern't that great, and I felt like complete **** because I felt like I didn't desearve to have the tattoo. The tattoo was the trigger for this cycle of guilt. So I would feel guilty about something, and then i'd apologize, and feel better for a day or two maybe, and then after that i'd start to feel guilty for something else all over again. This cycle has been going on since November and now i'm halfway through Febuary and I hate it so much. There's things I don't want to say sorry for, because if I say anything it wont do any good besides just hurt the person. I just want to forget about things that I feel guilty and stop obessing with them. It makes it hard to sleep at night and to eat right. It gives me headaches all day and makes me feel like a zombie. I can't keep apologizing for things because the cycle will just keep repeating. I need to break it but I don't know how. I don't want to spend my last year of high school feeling like this all the time. Is there anyone else with this? Does the OCD make sense or am I crazy? I've seen other things about it. If there's anything anyone knows that can help me I could really use it..thanks.

Last edited by Grotesque; 02-14-2011 at 06:41 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2011, 07:15 AM   #2
(female)

seekcalmness HB Userseekcalmness HB User
Re: Exessive Guilt linked to (OCD)? Help?

I spend a lot of time feeling guilty. Some of it has to do with not feeling worthy of things. Some of it has to do with "getting in the way" or not being good enough to or for others. For a period of time I was obsessed with confessing "bad thoughts" to my significant other. Sometimes I have thoughts that terrify me and I feel I need to confess them (although therapy did help me with that and my significant other is really supportive). The confessing sounds sort of like what you are strugging with regarding all of the apologizing. It does become a very repetitive cycle and there is a torturous way OCD acts where you think you are feeling relieved of the guilt only to find there is something else to feel guilty about. I actually notice sometimes that when I know I have nothing to feel guilty about (my rational mind) I notice my brain actually looking for something. It was weird because I noticed it this morning. It sounds like you are very insightful (ie. I know if I keep apologizing for things it just fuels the cycle) and I know it is very hard to shake this guilt. Have you tried talking to someone? Therapist or a trusted other?

Closed Thread