It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2011, 10:05 PM   #1
(male)

martymart1979 HB Usermartymart1979 HB User
Derealization?

So, I have OCD, anxiety and occasional panic attacks. Things have been really rough for me lately. For the past couple of years I have been obsessing over life, death and mortality, analyzing and questioning everything, I obsess over things like what goes where, why it goes there, or why I even have it at all, I'm constantly making lists, buy things before they even run out and so on. I moved to a new city a couple of years ago and I rarely see my family anymore which I think has made my symptoms a lot worse.

Anyways, regardless of all of these things I still didn't feel too bad and felt as though I had it all under control, but a couple of months ago that all changed. My girlfriend and I were at the store and I got really tired and things didn't feel right. It was Friday, but it seemed like a Sunday or something and I felt really blah and anxious. I went to bed that night and had weird dreams and woke up with a horrible panic attack. I couldn't shake the weird feeling.

The next weekend we took a trip out of town and I just felt anxious and strange the whole time. When we got to our destination all of the sudden it was like I slipped into another world. I got the weirdest, scariest feeling and it made me have one of the worst panic attacks ever. It's hard to explain the feeling. It's not really a physical feeling. It's like my reality has been twisted into a weird dream. Everything looks really unfamiliar and twisted. I haven't felt right since. Things that I used to love now kinda give me the creeps. Even when I think of some of my best memories from the past I see them differently. It's such a scary, gross feeling. I know I went through something similar to this when I was younger, but I never thought it would come back. It sounds like a form of derealization, but I'm worried that it may be more. I'm not sure what to do. I started seeing a counselor and I'm trying to exercise and eat better. I just want to see things like I used to. This feeling is miserable.

The following user gives a hug of support to martymart1979:
princess kip (03-08-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2011, 04:09 PM   #2
(female)

seekcalmness HB Userseekcalmness HB User
Re: Derealization?

This must be a really scary feeling. It would be a sort of hopeless feeling and I sort of think I know what you mean. However, I have never had a full blown panic attack...but I have felt that derealization feeling somewhat. I have A LOT of obsessions about the meaning of life, death, ect. I have been obsessed with the question that life is so short and somewhat 'meaningless'. I am attending graduate school and am on the verge of making some major strides in my life. All they seem to do is scare me. Maybe that is why I am afraid.

Anyways, I know this probably isn't helping you with your feeling but just a message for you to know that someone is listening and cares. Keep seeing your counselor. You seem to have great insight and a desire to stay well. The mind is a powerful thing. I am afraid of mine. (laughs) I don't know when to believe it and when to tell it to go to ....you get the idea.. Keep taking care of yourself.

seekcalmness

The Following User Says Thank You to seekcalmness For This Useful Post:
martymart1979 (03-01-2011)
Closed Thread