It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2011, 03:38 PM   #1
(female)

TBruin HB User
I think My Boyfriend has OCD, advice Please!!

Well about 3 years ago my boyfriend (26 now) was away at school, livng alone for the first time, had a very bad flu/cold and suffered a Anxiety/Panic attack. Prior to this he was always careless, never feared anything. He never focused on his health and was usually very healthy.

After this panic attack he started to act very wierd. He thought he was dying, he was obsessed with his heart and we frequented ERs so he could get numerous EKGs, heart ultrasounds, you name it, he got it. And every time he was given a completely clean bill of health. The ER visits subsided after a while but now I think he has become OCD. He washes his hands, presses the car alarm, sets the volume on tv and radio all to a certain number. He wont use a bar of soap again if it falls in the tub, he wont buy stuff on certain days and he wont say certain peoples names. He is Muslim, which he was never very religious, but suddenly now he prays 5 times a day, wont eat meat that is "un-halal", wont be intimate and much more.

I feel like I'm going to lose my mind here. We have been together 10 years in March and I just dont know what to do. He refuses to seek help, says they will label him as crazy and force him to take meds. His family only enables him. They don't talk about his problem and I even told his Dad I feel he has a Panic disorder and he laughed at me.

We have been going through this for 3 years now and its really starting to affect me. This just all came on so suddenly, I don't know what to do!!! Is this NORMAL???

Is there any advice anyone can give please, it would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2011, 04:16 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: I think My Boyfriend has OCD, advice Please!!

I can see how this is making you crazy, frustrated and concerned all at the same time. His behavior does suggest OCD, which is very hard on both the sufferers and those in their lives. What concerns me, and I know you too, is the lack of acknowledgment by both him and his family.

Before and progress can be made, acceptance must happen, which comes from within. He and his family are in denial, leaving you on the outside, making help for him even farther away. I imagine there are deep cultural beliefs that might deepen the resistance to treatment. it sounds as if they have huddled together to deal with this on their own.

But, what about you? All relationships have difficulties, and it is how you are able to deal with the tough ones together, that make or break relationships. He has left you in a position that you have to make a decision without him, because he refuses to acknowledge the problem, much less repair it. This is a major rift.

I believe we are all responsible for our own physical and mental health care, particularly if we are invested in others lives that love us, and we love back. Not having the desire to seek help is a dark place. If his family is keeping him there, how will he ever get out?

I look forward to the others take on this.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:21 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: I think My Boyfriend has OCD, advice Please!!

Oh, I forgot something...

I have experienced 7 years of overcoming brain injury, strokes, and have been though some tough emotional stuff too, so I do understand the fight back.

Closed Thread