It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2011, 06:26 PM   #1
(male)

jtdecke1 HB User
You are gonna be okay

Hey everyone,
I have experienced many of the distressing thoughts and bodily reactions that all of you have. I felt the way that many of you have described: guilty, anxious, horrific panic attics, feelings of doom, ect.... I had days when I thought I would never get my life back. I am happy to say though that I am feeling and doing 100% better now. Number one, It is very important to realize that these thoughts are common to human nature. In all reality they mean nothing, but it is the importance and meaning that we give them that makes all of the difference in the world. I know that many of you have talked about how it seems like your mind somehow knows how to come up with more and more distressing thoughts. The truth is that it does! This is because this is how we were designed, our brains have the ability to process tons and tons of information at one time and pick out what is important. Think about it, have you ever done what people call "skim reading" ? Where you scan through a large paper or book looking for a certain phrase or word.... despite all of the words on the paper, you are able to ignore them and locate the phrase you have labeled as "important". These distressing thoughts are much the same, by labeling them "important" your brain is constantly on the search for them. Your goal should be to treat them like the "unimportant words". Now I know this is one of those things that sounds easier said than done, and that is true also. Everything in life is. This is where the help of a therapist comes into play. Do not be afraid to go to a therapist, they are not going to tell you that you are crazy and haul you of to an institution. ha. I remember thinking the same thing. You have to face the fears that you have and this is part of it, opening up to someone about them. I suggest getting a therapist who is very skilled in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. My therapist follows a method of CBT by Dr. Aldo Pucci. You can look up Dr. Pucci online. He has CD's and books that are very helpful. See the problem is that you think that you ought to think that your distressing thoughts are irrational, but truth is that you are not convinced. Once you are convinced that these thoughts are irrational and they don't really mean squat about you or who you are, they will fade to the background and you will get your life back I promise. Friends I hope that I have been somewhat helpful in your struggle. I hope that I have encouraged you to face the fear, because there really is nothing on the other side of it. Please take care and don't give up hope. Sincerely, John

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread