It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2011, 01:49 PM   #1
(male)

IanK4 HB User
Possible Religious OCD

Hey everyone,

I've been doing some research on scrupulosity recently, due to the fact that I have been feeling like I may have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. I came across scrupulosity and religious OCD, which both began to greatly worry me.

I am a Christian and I am very passionate about my religion. I always have been, but not to the degree that I have been recently. It's very difficult for me to comprehend all of the sufferings in the world that have not plagued me as of yet, but affect so many others. I feel it as somewhat of a duty to pray for long periods of time especially in this regard, as well as several others. I really don't know if this is a problem or not. The moment I wake up in the morning, I get on my knees and pray for about 40 minutes. Throughout the day, I seem to pray somewhat relentlessly. Whenever I see a disabled person, or an ambulance goes by, or I feel as though I have sinned, I take a walk or go to a public restroom to pray in solitude. At times, I feel this is necessary and a beautiful action, but mostly it just raises a strong anxiety within me. At night, I also undergo a longer devotion, essentially repeating the devotion from the morning.

I have never given much concern to this being an issue. I have always told myself that I am experiencing something spiritually strong that takes work and patience. If this is the case, I am more than willing. But seeing as these symptoms and my several others continue to exaggerate, and that the symptoms of scrupulosity are surprisingly similar to the ones I am experiencing, I am inclined to at least investigate.

If anyone has any similar experiences or can offer any other form of assistance, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-01-2011, 03:21 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: Possible Religious OCD

Hello Ian, and welcome to the HealthBoards. You will find a lot of very understanding and knowledgeable folks here, ready to support you while you search for answers to your questions.

This is the first I have heard of scrupulosity, so I did look it up and have a basic understanding of it now.

While it shows a great sense of empathy for others, that you pray for those less fortunate than yourself, anytime things go out of balance, or become overwhelming for us...it is time for introspection, as it seems you have been doing. The fact that you identify with these two illnesses means you should start seeking some professional advice, before they begin to interfere with your daily life more so than they are now.

If it is found, by a good doctor, that you are suffering from OCD, you then have the opportunity to manage it in the most effective way, rather than wrestle with it alone. OCD is quite treatable, and a good philosophy I have learned is to A-Access, A-Accept and A-Adapt. This idea was shared with me from a very wise friend of mine who has overcome incredible odds due to an industrial accident that left him paralyzed and stroked out, 18 years ago. I love the concept and find it is such a good fit in so many cases where adversity meets us.

I am sure others will be along to add their suggestions and support to you,,,my best..

Old 03-07-2011, 07:36 PM   #3
(male)

jtdecke1 HB User

Hey,
If your praying does not interfere with you accomplishing your goals in life, it is probably not an issue. If you spend all day praying when you know that you need to be doing other things, then you might want to seek a therapist. Either way, just know that God is not gonna be upset with you if you prey less. I believe just simply preying " Thank you " is enough. Have a great day .

Old 07-17-2011, 08:46 PM   #4
(female)

megelyse HB User

Hello!
I suffer from religious OCD as well. However, God knows what is in your heart. It is wonderful to pray, but it should not be a burden! God loves you. I believe it would be beneficial for you to see a professional psychologist. I did and it greatly improved my life and my relationship with God.

Closed Thread