It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2011, 06:20 PM   #1
(female)

Anyways HB User
Could I have OCD?

Hello everyone!

I looking for your opinions really, although I'm not sure where to start!
I think I may have Ďobsessionalí OCD. I have had the symptoms (now I know that these are the symptoms) since I was a child. It relaxed once I became a teenager but started up very briefly after the birth of my daughter (only for a couple of weeks)

This may sound really stupid and totally illogical but bear with me...
When I was a child I use to set myself tasks and bets. If I couldn't do the tasks or didnít do them in the time I had set then I thought something awful would happen to the people I loved the most.

Now this one is particularly odd lol. There was a road we used to travel down to visit my aunt. There are cable lines in the road for about a miles stretch, which were different distances apart. In between the lines I used to beep in my head when the front tyres use to be in between two lines. I would set myself the task of having to beep for every single on and if I didnít manage to get every single one, then something bad would happen (that sounds so ridicules in writing!)

I also use to have to look down this certain gully we use to drive past all the time, as if my life depended on it.

I mainly had thoughts about harm coming to people I really cared about and how horrible it would be. I would get so upset as a child. Now if I do get these thoughts, which isnít that often anymore, I know that these are just thoughts and wonít actually happen so itís not as bad. I couldnít touch anything that could harm someone either, if they were in the same room. After the birth of my daughter I couldnít empty the dishwasher when she was in the kitchen because i would have to touch the knives and these could potentially kill her! As mad as it sounds i would have to move her into the dining room before I could load and unload the dishwasher!

So after reading this do you think there might be a chance of me having OCD? For years I thought I was a loon and never told anyone about it. If you think I do, then should I see a doctor? Itís not that bad anymore but every now and again I still get it, so would there even be any point in seeing someone about it?

Let me know what you think anyway,

Thanks for reading and any opinions on this would be great!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2011, 11:33 AM   #2
(female)

Eyes2thesky HB UserEyes2thesky HB UserEyes2thesky HB UserEyes2thesky HB User
Re: Could I have OCD?

Wow, that's certainly a lot of stress to go through, and thank you for sharing your story on here. Just wanted to let you know, I did some of the same things as a child. I had little bets too, now I realize those were "magical thoughts" mine had to do with the lights turning green. If I didnt predict them at the right time, then I was bad, stuff like that also with colors. It was a really weird time for me. But your not alone in regards to that.
I've also had some violent intrusive thoughts and I literally threw away all of my knives at one point lol. Anyway, it could be very possible that you have OCD but I'm not a medical professional. I think you probably should go to a therapist just because its not okay for all of us to go through this on our own. Also, I hate that it could effect your relationship with your daughter. You know, you should be happy and not so worried so you can actually enjoy your time with her. And the thoughts about terrible things happening to people we love usually bothers us because we care so much! Not because we want those things to happen. Anyway, hope you feel better..

Closed Thread