It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2011, 03:19 PM   #16
(male)

RogerS HB User
Re: Scrupulosity/OCD - bad thoughts about people or God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocd21 View Post
No I have never been able to just ignore these thoughts and images for the anxiety in doing that, is far too great for me to deal with and I have been trying now for years and years.
Have you ever tried medication that can lessen the anxiety?

Last edited by RogerS; 05-02-2011 at 03:21 PM.

Old 05-02-2011, 03:33 PM   #17
(male)

RogerS HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes2thesky View Post
Okay, I'm going to give you some more reassurance by telling you that alas, your thoughts do not control what happens to your grandmother in the afterlife. They simply do not. I've had thoughts like that too. Do you think that I control the universe with my thoughts? The answer is no, I do not. Your grandmother is fine. You should not feel guilty for the disorder or your thoughts. Because they are simply that, thoughts.

On the issue of ignoring them.. No you should not ignore them, because its too close to supression. If you supress them, they are more likely to come back and cause more anxiety (element of surprise). And to be honest, it sounds like you wouldnt be able to ignore them, even if you tried (thats why intrusive thoughts are so scary, YOU CANT IGNORE THEM!) All you should do is just let them pass. Dont try to argue with them too much (thats your compulsion) and try not to overanalyze. Just give yourself 15 min of everyday to just sit and worry. Worry all you can, really try to freak yourself out and think of the worst possible scenario and give yourself permission to do this. Surprisingly, you might find it difficult to worry about the worst for the entire 15 minutes. For the rest of the day just tell yourself I dont need to think about that right now, it can wait until my designated time to worry. This will teach you to control the obsession and compulsion. Because now its happening on your terms. This exercise has brought me the most relief. Please try it. And please see someone about your ocd, there are other exercises that will help. Good luck. You can do this.
Thanks for the help and the advice Really appreciate it.

I don't know if I feel comfortable enough to do such an exercise just yet. Perhaps I want more reassurance, f.e. by getting more reassurance from people and by reading books.

Don't know if I want to visit a therapist. I think it would be so hard to explain what I am going through. Also, I think I may eventually have the courage to let these thoughts pass and deal with the problem without a therapist. But maybe u are right about seeing someone about the OCD... I am thinking about it atm.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2011, 03:41 PM   #18
(male)

RogerS HB User

I am still thinking about therapy, but there is 1 obstacle that really bothers me. At this moment I consider thoughts (or the way I deal with thoughts) to be my main problem. However, explaining what exact thoughts I have to a psychologist seems even more scary to me than having these terrible thoughts in my mind. But I think the psychologist is gonna ask me that anyway..... what should i do in this situation?

Last edited by RogerS; 05-08-2011 at 03:59 PM.

Old 05-08-2011, 11:17 PM   #19
(female)

Eyes2thesky HB UserEyes2thesky HB UserEyes2thesky HB UserEyes2thesky HB User

First of all, can I just say I'm really proud of you for taking such a proactive approach to battling this disorder. I believe that is truly whats going to help you because its bothering you a lot.

This is going to kind of vary depending on your personality. But I'll explain a couple of ways to tell a professional that you have intrusive thoughts. One way is to simply tell your psych that you have been having a hard time dealing with intrusive thoughts and you have done a little research and you believe you have OCD. It causes you a lot of anxiety and list the rest of your symptoms. Then tell your psych that youre nervous to talk about exactly what your intrusive thoughts are because they frighten you so terribly. You dont have to say exactly what your thoughts are at first. Just say that they are religion based and cause you a great deal of distress.

Another way, if talking about it really scares you too badly, is to write all of this down and give it to your psych. That way he/she gets the information they need to help you and you dont have to worry about how to express yourself in the moment.

Lastly, just know that I have done this. I have gone to a psychiatrist and told her about what I'm going through and I've had terrible religious thoughts and I have never been put away in a psych ward or felt misunderstood with my psych. They're there to help you. And if OCD is taking up so much of your time, you definitely need a little help. There's nothing wrong with that. You will be fine, and I think you will be shocked at how non-terrifying your experience will be. I hope the best for you because you are going through a lot of similar stuff that I did. Good luck!

Old 05-10-2011, 04:51 PM   #20
(male)

RogerS HB User

Quote:
Dont try to argue with them too much (thats your compulsion) and try not to overanalyze. Just give yourself 15 min of everyday to just sit and worry. Worry all you can, really try to freak yourself out and think of the worst possible scenario and give yourself permission to do this. Surprisingly, you might find it difficult to worry about the worst for the entire 15 minutes. For the rest of the day just tell yourself I dont need to think about that right now, it can wait until my designated time to worry. This will teach you to control the obsession and compulsion
This tip was really great for me. Yesterday night I decided that I wanted to give this a shot. So I started doing my best not to pay too much attention to thoughts. I tried to let thoughts pass and not argue with them. So far it has worked out quite well I think. I already notice that the amount of bad thoughts is now much less than it was before. It is sometimes still hard though, to let a certain thought go. There is still the urge to argue with certain thoughts. When I sometimes still argue with certain thoughts, I notice that part of me wants to keep obsessing. It's like I keep doubting about the way I argued with a certain thought before. Then I try to think: arguing is for my designated time to worry.

However, it somehow can still scare me if I do not pay attention to certain thoughts. When thinking about my designated time to worry later today, I know I probably can't remember all the thoughts I had before. Part of me still wants to argue with them.

Another example of something that bothers me: sometimes I have a bad thought about myself, f.e.: "X is gonna happen to me". I think I usually manage not to argue with the thought now. However, sometimes I do. After arguing, then the same bad thought sometimes comes up about someone else, "X is gonna happen to person Y". Then I sometimes say to myself that I should stop arguing with these thoughts, so then I don't argue with the 2nd bad thoughts. However, it somehow feels wrong to argue with bad thought number one (about myself or someone else), and then not arguing with the same bad thought who is about someone else. When the 1st bad thought is about me, then it somehow feels "selfish" not to argue with that 2nd bad thought about someone else.

Another thing that bothers me is thinking about these subjects or past thoughts. Sometimes I still catch myself paying attention to certain thoughts. This sometimes makes me feel bad and makes me want to apologise to God. On the other hand, I am afraid that apologising to God could be a new compulsion if I apologise every time I think I may be thinking too much about past thoughts or worry about certain horrible topics, things that can cause bad thoughts to come.

I guess my 15 minutes of designated time to worry is coming soon today (it's already 1:49 AM where I am now so I should probably go to bed soon). I am still not sure what I should think about during this time and if I should be thinking back to some of these horrible previous thoughts and worry about them at all. I am afraid using this time will trigger new worries, bad thoughts and useless obsessions. I guess in time it would be better not to have these designated times of worry anymore, but now I am still doubting if I should use this time today.

All in all, I guess you could call this day a good day for me. I spent lots of time with friends and I spent significantly less time ruminating about certain thoughts than yesterday. However, I still don't know what to do in certain situations, as explained before. Hope you guys can help me with that a little bit.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the help so far, I don't know if I would have done this with your support

Old 05-10-2011, 08:04 PM   #21
(female)

Lol. I'm glad it helped you, I knew it would because it helped me and we both have religious ocd. Wish I could take the credit for that excersize but.. its from a book called STOP OBSESSING! you should pick it up if you can find it. It can definitely help. And its weird how it can help, i didnt think it would at first either. More than that I'm really happy you have been able to spend time with your family today. Thats whats really important, not your thoughts

Old 05-11-2011, 01:31 PM   #22
(female)

adviceplease1 HB User

Hi. I dont know if you will get this soon or not but Im kinda reaching out right now to anyone that has scrupulosity. I am engaged to be married and my fiance is newly struggling with these symtpoms. He prays constantly and says hes having horrible thoughts about Jesus and God. This is a new thing for him..we always knew he had a touch of OCD but never seen anything like this happen to him before. Its very extreme. He hardly sleeps anymore and when he does its because he has taken sleeping pills. When hes awake, he tries to busy himself with reading the bible or jogging. He has a hard time driving right now, he has to pull over and jog for awhile. He has told me, just the other day that he didnt know if he had the ability to love anymore. His mind is just so consumed. I know that he does love me. He doesnt want me to leave him. I need help though. For myself. I have a history of panic/anxiety attacks and depression is really starting to set in for me. Im so afraid that this is what the rest of our life will hold. Are there any medications or self help ideas you can give me? Im willing to do whatever it takes to find the person I once fell in love with.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:10 PM   #23
(male)

RogerS HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by adviceplease1 View Post
Hi. I dont know if you will get this soon or not but Im kinda reaching out right now to anyone that has scrupulosity. I am engaged to be married and my fiance is newly struggling with these symtpoms. He prays constantly and says hes having horrible thoughts about Jesus and God. This is a new thing for him..we always knew he had a touch of OCD but never seen anything like this happen to him before. Its very extreme. He hardly sleeps anymore and when he does its because he has taken sleeping pills. When hes awake, he tries to busy himself with reading the bible or jogging. He has a hard time driving right now, he has to pull over and jog for awhile. He has told me, just the other day that he didnt know if he had the ability to love anymore. His mind is just so consumed. I know that he does love me. He doesnt want me to leave him. I need help though. For myself. I have a history of panic/anxiety attacks and depression is really starting to set in for me. Im so afraid that this is what the rest of our life will hold. Are there any medications or self help ideas you can give me? Im willing to do whatever it takes to find the person I once fell in love with.
I believe there are multiple options. I think there are several internet sources for people.

Also, there are several books that are available. I think Googling "Scrupulosity Books" or "Pure-O OCD books" could help you finding additional information. It could provide you and your fiance with more understanding of the disease.

Basically, if I look at my own situation, I think your fiance is trying to block certain thoughts. Certain thoughts come up in his mind that he obviously doesn't want to have. He has a certain fear of thoughts. I believe in God but I am not religious, but I also apologised a lot when thoughts came up (a lot less now). However, apologising to these thoughts means keeping yourself busy thinking about these horrible, previous thoughts. If he could just let this (terrible) thought pass when it enters his conciousness, if he could just focus on other things, then this should probably result in much less bad thoughts.

Talking to a psychologist or religious counsellor might help as well, although I have never done any of those.

OCD/scrupulosity can be a terrible disease, but there are definitely ways out of it. Stay strong and don't hesitate to post on this forum if necessary

< edited >

Last edited by hb-mod; 05-11-2011 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Please don't post unapproved websites, per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:22 PM   #24
(male)

RogerS HB User

Quote:
Lol. I'm glad it helped you, I knew it would because it helped me and we both have religious ocd. Wish I could take the credit for that excersize but.. its from a book called STOP OBSESSING! you should pick it up if you can find it. It can definitely help. And its weird how it can help, i didnt think it would at first either. More than that I'm really happy you have been able to spend time with your family today. Thats whats really important, not your thoughts
Still you can take the credit for telling me about that exercise

I do not entirely understand what would be the goal of this designated time to worry though. You said worrying about thoughts could then wait until the designated time to worry (which I first interpreted as the time in which u can "argue" with these bad thoughts, telling yourself that everything is okay, etc.).

However, you said you should really try to freak yourself out during that time. How does that combine with letting a thought go, until the designated time to worry?

I am atm thinking whether I should have this designated time to worry at all. Are you still using this designated time to worry? Maybe it would be better for me not to have this designated time to worry at all. Because it doesn't feel good to try to think of all these bad, pas thoughts.

Hope you can provide me with an answer to that. Anyway, thanks again for your help so far

Old 05-11-2011, 09:14 PM   #25
(female)

the more you struggle with the thoughts, (i.e. arguing, etc) the more power you give them. If for 15 minutes you just let them go, they will have less power over you because you will understand that they dont actually define who you are or are so illogical it will seem ridiculous to worry over. lol you should just check the book out, im not the best at explaining this.

Old 06-02-2011, 05:59 PM   #26
(male)

RogerS HB User

edited: Triple post

Last edited by RogerS; 06-11-2011 at 05:24 PM.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:05 PM   #27
(male)

RogerS HB User

Edited: triple post

Last edited by RogerS; 06-11-2011 at 05:24 PM.

Old 06-02-2011, 06:08 PM   #28
(male)

RogerS HB User

It's been a while now. I still have OCD, although I think it is less than before. There is still a tendency to respond to thoughts. Although there are more problems of my OCD, I'd like to ask some advice on one of these problems:

Often, when I have bad thoughts, I apologise to God. I don't think I should apologize when a certain thought pops up suddenly when I am not even thinking about such topics. However, sometimes I think of reasons why it could maybe be good to apologize to God about certain thoughts in certain situations.

For example: sometimes I am still not letting certain bad thoughts pass. Sometimes I still pay attention to them. However, paying attention to previous thoughts or situations often involves getting the same bad thoughts again. When I get that bad thought again in such a situation, then I often apologize for thinking too much about previous thoughts and/or apologize for my bad thoughts.

However, with doing such things, I often start doubting after having certain bad thoughts, if I have not possibly paid too much attention to these thoughts.

Wouldn't it be better not to apologize at all for thinking too much about previous, bad thoughts, because this apologizing might keep me too busy with past thoughts and it often causes doubt to whether I paid too much attention to a thought or not? Or maybe just apologize to God once for all bad thoughts and for every time I thought too much about certain things, at the end of each day?

This OCD problem with me seems to be really complicated... I believe in God but I am not a Christian or follower of some other religion. I have my beliefs, but sometimes I think not having a religion can make it harder for me to trust in certain things. Christians have the Bible to read or a Minister or Priest where they can talk to, but for me it can be quite hard to trust in something. I wonder if my OCD would be gone if I had more faith... And I also wonder whether going to a phychologist would "cure" my OCD if this is the underlying problem...

Old 06-11-2011, 05:25 PM   #29
(male)

RogerS HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerS View Post
It's been a while now. I still have OCD, although I think it is less than before. There is still a tendency to respond to thoughts. Although there are more problems of my OCD, I'd like to ask some advice on one of these problems:

Often, when I have bad thoughts, I apologise to God. I don't think I should apologize when a certain thought pops up suddenly when I am not even thinking about such topics. However, sometimes I think of reasons why it could maybe be good to apologize to God about certain thoughts in certain situations.

For example: sometimes I am still not letting certain bad thoughts pass. Sometimes I still pay attention to them. However, paying attention to previous thoughts or situations often involves getting the same bad thoughts again. When I get that bad thought again in such a situation, then I often apologize for thinking too much about previous thoughts and/or apologize for my bad thoughts.

However, with doing such things, I often start doubting after having certain bad thoughts, if I have not possibly paid too much attention to these thoughts.

Wouldn't it be better not to apologize at all for thinking too much about previous, bad thoughts, because this apologizing might keep me too busy with past thoughts and it often causes doubt to whether I paid too much attention to a thought or not? Or maybe just apologize to God once for all bad thoughts and for every time I thought too much about certain things, at the end of each day?

This OCD problem with me seems to be really complicated... I believe in God but I am not a Christian or follower of some other religion. I have my beliefs, but sometimes I think not having a religion can make it harder for me to trust in certain things. Christians have the Bible to read or a Minister or Priest where they can talk to, but for me it can be quite hard to trust in something. I wonder if my OCD would be gone if I had more faith... And I also wonder whether going to a phychologist would "cure" my OCD if this is the underlying problem...
Can anyone please respond to this?

Old 10-26-2011, 05:46 PM   #30
(male)

RogerS HB User

Sorry but I would still like to have a reply :S

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerS View Post
Can anyone please respond to this?

Closed Thread