It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2011, 01:58 PM   #1
(female)

cindyg123 HB User
OCD in 4 year old?

Hello!

I have a four year old daughter (she will be five in October) who has some interesting behaviors. I want to see if perhaps she has any compulsive tendencies that I need to be checked by a doctor.

First, for a long time now, she will pinch my elbow. She usually does it at bedtime or at times she is stressed or even at random times. I try to just move her arm away but sometimes it can be annoying, especially after she repeats it.

Also, she has this obession with her underware. She sometimes changes it multiple times a day and if I grab her the wrong ones, she freaks out. They have to be the "perfect" ones.

Finally, in the past week, she has started repeating statements and saying she is doing things she isn't. For example, she will be in ballet class and when she comes out for a drink, she will tell me she didn't listen to her teacher, when the teacher said she did. Or she will tell me over and over how she wiped her popsicle juice on the couch (when she didn't or maybe she did), and I will tell her "No big deal...wipe it off". She will then repeat it again a few times, "But, Mama, I wiped it on the couch." She will do this behavior with a lot of different actions. I also ask her to stop saying the statement, and she will tell me she "can't stop". She might also say, "I looked at that girl like this" and then she will roll her eyes. She never did that, and again will repeat the statement a few times.

I am worried for her. We are moving into a new house soon, and she might be stressed about that, but we have made the move seem really beneficial to her. I want to help her now, as I don't want these behaviors to get worse. She also has a sister who is 13 months younger, if that matters. Her sister doesn't act like this. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2011, 03:10 AM   #2
(female)

elamne HB User
Re: OCD in 4 year old?

hi i am 20, and since your daughters age have coped with this, i used to drive my mum mad, i used to always tell my mum things id done 'silly things' and say 'mum do u forgive me' repeatedly, from my experience it does sound like she does, shes getting anxious when she does the littlest thing, she wants things to be perfect, its not nice what shes feeling, youy need to tell her that she can tell you anything she is feeling, and when she tells u she has done something, for instance, i wiped my drink on the settee, just tell her it is ok, its nt a big deal, make sure u keep an eye on her as she gets older, mine got worse, with some people its something thats always there, (as it is with me) so before shes older maybe do some research so u can be of a great support to her when she needs u most .... as luckily for me my mum is a psychiatric nurse. xx take care xx and she will be totally fine xxx

Closed Thread

Tags
child, ocd