It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2011, 05:17 PM   #1
(female)

schwelmr HB User
OCD with scratches/dents... also with washing.

Hi, I am new to the website. I have looked online fairly thoroughly and can't seem to find anyone with similar OCD issues. Amongst my basic issues with washing & contamination, I have been suffering with the scratches/dents I have on certain items. I've always had problems with perfectionism and I'm starting to think that between the OCD with cleanliess and prevention of scratches/dents on items, that maybe it has to do with my own issues of trying to be perfect. I also have some issues with my weight and body acceptance. With the scratches and dents, many times, it seems like an item is "ruined" and no longer bright, shiny, & new. Does anyone else have similar issues?

Old 12-10-2011, 04:00 PM   #2
(male)

fester149 HB User
Unhappy Re: OCD with scratches/dents... also with washing.

Ohhhh - you describe my OCD issues to a T...

I've been diagnosed with OCD in my pre-teens and as long as I can remember I have always been enchanted by new shiny toys and devices. The shrink-wrapped item that is so perfect when I take it out of the fresh packaging glows to me.

I baby these new toys like crazy, and worry like a nut if I scratch it or something. And if I do scratch it (which happens with any device really from natural wear-and-tear) - my OCD symptoms trigger like a tsunami and I think I just marred this perfect piece of perfection.

This essentially makes every new toy or device I get a burden (when it is SUPPOSE to bring pleasure and happiness.) In effect, I become the slave to the device rather than me being the master of it.

schwelmr - I wonder if this is similar to your OCD issues - cause I kind of feel non-human and weird from this, and frankly I don't see a lot of people with OCD describe this obsession with devices as much as "hand-washing" or "cleaning" etc.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2011, 06:44 PM   #3
(female)

schwelmr HB User
Re: OCD with scratches/dents... also with washing.

I'm so glad you responded. I've had this posted for months and you were the very first to respond. I cannot seem to find ANYONE with similar issues. On addition to this, I do have cleaning and organization issues, but not much with contamination with germs.
I've seeker professional help in the past with no success. As you probably know, the preferred method of treatment for OCD is exposure and response prevention but I feel like this treatment doesn't pertain too much to our issues with scratches and dents. Typically with OCD you have an obsession and a compulsion, and by exposing yourself to the trigger for the obsession and preventing carrying out the compulsion, you can stop the OCD cycle. However, with our issue, I don't feel like it works that way.
Have you undergone any treatment in the past? Any advice or tips?
I'm so glad you responded! Thank you!

Old 01-05-2012, 08:16 PM   #4
(male)

fester149 HB User

Well I would consider my these worries I have with scratches/dents/perfection to be more Pure-O OCD - since I don't have really certain physical rituals with this.

But because it's considered OCD - it should have the Obsessive and Compulsive factor to it - even if its all mental.

Remember the Compulsive factor is what you do (physically or mentally) that tries to relieve the Obsession. Which is kind of odd - considering I think my Obsession drives me even crazier and more agitated. But I think for most of us OCD sufferers, the relief of Obsession is short-lived and it usually gets us deeper into the aggravating cycle of OCD.

I guess for me I can break it down this way (not sure if this is your case):

Trigger Event: I spilled water on my new phone.

Obsession (Almost Instantaneous): OMG - I just short-circuited my brand-spanking new phone. Did I damage it?

Compulsion Response:

I need to examine this phone's every nook and cranny to see if I see anything.

Hmmm.. Looks fine - phone still works, screens clear, no water visible after the cleanup.

(New Thought)
But what-if something else damaged it that I can't see? I NEED TO RESEARCH IT!

(Hours later of online research)
Hmmm... All this research is reassuring me that my phone should be fine, and I haven't seen any glitches on this phone so far at all...

(New Thought)
But still......

(And so on and so forth....)

FINALLY...
In the end - what was the reason for me to do all this mental acrobatics? It is to REASSURE myself that I did in fact did NOT initially damage my device - so it wasn't my fault and I shouldn't feel guilty about it to begin with!

And that's how my OCD episode goes from initial Trigger to the end (or agonizing long end - unfortunately.)

As for professional help schwelmr, I think I'm in the same boat as you - I used to have therapy - but now I am trying to do this myself with medication and my own Cognitive Behavior Therapy and Exposure Therapy...

I hope someone else can fill this in - as I would like their opinion on this as well - and whether or not I'm saying all this stuff correctly...

Last edited by fester149; 01-05-2012 at 08:19 PM.

Old 03-08-2012, 02:57 AM   #5
(female)

Louise82 HB User

I too have this kind of OCD. I'm obsessed with scratches and dents on things in my house. It's driving me crazy but don't know what to do about it. I've tried CBT but that didn't help at all.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:22 AM   #6
(female)

waterfalls76 HB User

My particular thoughts with the scratches/dents center around if I caused them. I will see a car in a parking lot and wonder if I somehow caused the scratch or dent unknowingly. If will agonize over whether I bumped into a car and somehow damaged it. I tend to look at it in detail and rationalize that if it has rust then it is an old dent and therefore I couldn't have caused it. Not sure if that's what you meant by scratches/dents. Oh, and I also worry if I've gone to someone's home and somehow damaged something like furniture, wallpaper, etc.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:24 AM   #7
(female)

coffeemom30 HB User

My baseboards have to be perfectly clean. That's the only OCD type thing I have with the house. Well, I certainly feel a great deal of anxiety when my chores aren't caught up, but with two little kids they are never all caught up, so I focus my anxiety on the baseboards and my other OCD thoughts....

Old 07-06-2012, 05:07 PM   #8
(male)

eaglespeed HB User

hello everyone!
I am really glad that I found this thread, I was searching through the internet for someone like me or an insight about this type of ocd and this thread came in google, I have ocd just like you guys but mine has been going for along time, especially when it comes to scratches, dents, and normal wear and tear of my personal items gadgets, such as my computer, phone, expensive mouse or keyboard, I recently broke a small piece of plastic inside computer motherboard, and to my craziness am thinking of buying a new one just because a small useless piece of plastic broke, I wrap my phone in transparent coat tape like phantomskinzs and I also apply that to my laptop, this is all acceptable to some degree but my recent incident is with the motherboard piece of plastic, this is when I knew something is seriously wrong, and I shouldn't think this way, sometimes this kind of stuff drive me crazy and make me really depressed, when something break scratch or fall by accident, I had a very bad cleaning ocd before but I came along way and I am a lot better now, the thing is when am busy with work or doing something rewarding I don't feel this so much but when am alone and bored it shows out the most.

I hope we can support each other in this and go through it together, thank god were are not alone in this ocd suffering!

Last edited by ms_mod; 07-06-2012 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Replaced text message, chat room words with the proper words as per the posting rules. Ms_Mod

Closed Thread

Tags
body image, contamination, ocd