It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2011, 11:47 PM   #1
(female)

sweetonlyme HB User
Question Is this OCD?

I am a skin picker since I was nine or so. My father does it as well.
I have been recently diagnosed with Bipolar Type II disorder. I think my Psychiatrist has made a mistake.
I am mostly restless, with lots of energy. I am also very emotional. I have cry spells. I start several things at once I never know which one to finish. My mind is always racing. But I do have low moments. It"s hard for me to know my moods in a given month so now I will write everything down, well as much as I can. My train of thoughts hahahaha. Crazy! I loose track of what I am saying and jump all over the place with so much in my head. Is everyone like this?
I do pick my scalp and sometime I pull my hair. I normally have sore in my scalp. I don"t get my hair done at the beauty parlor as is embarrassing that people can see my sores. I hate to make my scalp bleed but it is Oh, so soothing while I do it. But then Crap! I hate myself for hurting my scalp. At night I go on line when in bed with my hubby (God bless him!) and he says "Don't poke" or "Don't scratch" and I feel like I wanna kick his butt

I know I get sad and happy but sad is not the rule. Angry, restless, is the norm.

So... any in puts please?

The following user gives a hug of support to sweetonlyme:
Strawberry.hill (07-31-2011)
Old 07-22-2011, 11:58 AM   #2
(female)

NinthTwelfth HB User
Re: Is this OCD?

Right, straight away <it seems to me> that this is not OCD. That I'm 99% sure.
<Maybe you have> CSP, which is linked to OCD in a way, but not really much like it. It's compulsive skin picking. I have this, and numerous other conditions, and I know how soothing it is to pick, but try different techniques when you feel the urge to pick. Try pinging an elastic band against your skin, try drawing on yourself with a red pen, try different things that occupy yourself and suppress the urge. Try a stress ball- buy a few so you can shred them when you feel the need to pick. Good luck!

Last edited by Administrator; 07-22-2011 at 11:06 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2011, 01:02 PM   #3
(female)

FransDaughter HB User

Hi, my name's Tonya. I don't know anything about CSP, but I do have OCD & I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it. The stress, anxiety, racing thoughts, inability to finish things...all these sound like OCD to me. I have OCD, Depression, & Anxiety Disorder, so maybe you have more than one issue going on. Perhaps you do have OCD as well as the CSP...in any case, good luck in getting help with your condition and keep an open mind.

The Following User Says Thank You to FransDaughter For This Useful Post:
sweetonlyme (07-27-2011)
Old 07-27-2011, 07:21 AM   #4
(female)

sweetonlyme HB User

HI Tonya,

You are right CSP (Compulsive Skin Picking or Dermatillomania) it is indeed an extension of OCD. I do other thinks besides that scalp picking which I have since age 10, I am 41 Y/O now.
I have been diagnosed with Bipolar Type 2 by two Psychiatrists and my Psychologist. I also have Temporal Lobe Epilepsy.
Life can be always worse. Sure I am very interesting considering all the things I have. Hahahaha.
I suspect that I might be a rapid-cycler as I have mood swings very often. From Happy to angry, from angry to tear-y.
In any case thank you for your response.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:02 PM   #5
(female)

Strawberry.hill HB User

Wow, I have some of these things, just wandered over here. I was diagnosed Bipolar, don't remember what type. It's been about 5 years. I have the picking compulsion as soon as I see a little speck on my face that wasn't there I intend to peck and peck and peck. Once it comes off, of course is a scab, and I peck and peck again.
I hate having all the spots later, I do, but I can't help it.
I also noticed I scratch a lot in general, and I pick out any short hairs on my head if I see them, like on top of my bangs. I get "baby" hair, and most of them grays now. SO they look bright and shinny, like "look at me!" I have to pluck them.
I sometimes force myself to stpo looking in the mirror because I will find something to poke or pluck. If I kept it up I'd have no eyebrows!!! (to me they look unruly)

I don't know what is going on I come to this board because it helps so much more than asking the doctor, who usually says nothing's wrong it's all in my head.

I am also here looking for answers.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:00 PM   #6
(female)

sweetonlyme HB User

Hi Strawberry.hill,
I wonder if your doctor is a Pdoc. Skin Picking is everything but nothing. It is a very annoying thing to have. I do it when I am watching TV, when I am on internet reading. When I am in bed browsing the net. Mu hubby is very aware of this and very gently holds my hand when he is setting by my side. I get annoyed by this.
I was being treated by a Psychologist though Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and it worked. I had to monitor my every urge for picking and write it down on a time chart. Very annoying but it worked. For nearly 4 months I did not pick my scalp or back or neck. But I had a relapse when I went to my hometown and visit my folks. It was stressful to be there. Bad memories being revisited et cetera. I am not working with my Psychologist any longer. I did not like some of her approach to solve a particular issue...
I hope my experience helps...

Closed Thread