It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2011, 07:09 PM   #1
(female)

katiebirdie HB User
Always Running Late Because of OCD

Hi Everyone! This is my first post here and I'm looking forward to getting to talk to people who understand what I'm going through.

I was diagnosed with anxiety and OCD when I was 15. Now I'm 21 and the anxiety symptoms haven't gone away. I'm thinking that they are getting worse just because of the stress of college but it's beginning to control my life.

Last year it got so bad that I wasn't even able to leave my apartment which led to me failing some classes. Since then I've been on Zoloft and have gotten better. The only thing is that I get really anxious about going places. It's strange, I know, and it sounds silly when I explain it. I'm always late because the idea of sitting and waiting for something really freaks me out. I'm scared of being in the wrong place, going at the wrong time, forgetting something, and just being around people I don't really know. I show up about 5ish minutes late and it normally isn't an issue because I go to a lot of large classes but some of my professors have noticed. One of my professors has asked me to meet him in his office to chat about my tardiness because it is beginning to lower my grade.

So, I'm just wondering if this is normal. Does anyone else run late because of OCD/Anxiety? I want to explain my situation to my professor but honestly, it sounds completely ridiculous and it might come across as a bad excuse. Also, I'm a little worried that he might judge me. Honestly, there is a stigma with anxiety and I don't want him to think I'm not capable of doing my work.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to tell him? Also, for those who have this issue, how can you overcome it?

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2011, 08:46 PM   #2
(female)

reallylovesdogs HB Userreallylovesdogs HB Userreallylovesdogs HB User
Re: Always Running Late Because of OCD

My son suffers from OCD so my heart goes out to you. Don't be embarrassed, it is the nature of the beast that people have different obsessive thoughts. I'm glad the zoloft is helping. What dose are you on? You may just need a little higher dose- I know that sometimes higher doses are needed to really reign in OCD symptoms.

I'd also urge you to try therapy if you can. My son benefitted a lot from therapy. But don't hesitate to talk to your professor. Professors are highly educated, usually open-minded people. Then maybe try moving your time up a minute at a time? Shoot for only being 4 minutes late, then 3, etc? Just a thought.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:57 PM   #3
(female)

exoticsquare HB User

I have ocd and if I'm going to a place where I will have to wait and mingle with people before hand I will purposefully show up late. When I was in school I would wait til right when it was time to be there, so I wasn't late, but I wasn't waiting either. At work I would run late, but that was because of add I think. I come early to work now and bring a book, so I don't talk with people and I don't feel anxiety about being too early or being too late. I was lucky because people were talking that I should be fired because I would be late to work. I'm really thankful my boss gave me a chance. It probably seemed really immature to people at work. It has been a long time now since I've been late to work. But with other social situations I like to show up a little bit late because I am very shy and anxious around people.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:00 PM   #4
(female)

herpelow HB User

Tell him. I explained my situation to one of my high school teachers and she directed me and my parents to a great doctor. This disorder is way more common than you might think!

Closed Thread