It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2011, 11:29 PM   #1
(female)

Pridki HB User
Unhappy OCD, anxiety or both?

I have had experience with OCD before. I used to have to swallow a certain amount of times, i still have to have the tv or radio volume on a even number. My OCD is not very bad.. but in the last few years I have had aLOT of stress as well and am worried that I cannot stop picking my face. I have had acne all my life but never really picked at it alot... Now I am 30 and have a little acne , but while laying in bed at night when i can't sleep, or are stressed I pick and pick until i have tons of sores on my face. I catch myself picking during the day while i am sitting on the computer or at anytime my hands are not occupied. Is this stress or is it part of OCD? I don't have insurance right now. I was on prozac but it didn't seem to help. I am totally stressed and seeing my "pizza face" only makes it work. I can cover it with makeup pretty well but I want to stop before I scar it too much. Anyone have any advice? Thanks!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-19-2011, 12:43 AM   #2
(female)

Eyes2thesky HB UserEyes2thesky HB UserEyes2thesky HB UserEyes2thesky HB User
Re: OCD, anxiety or both?

Hey there,

First, I'm so sorry you're having a lot of stress lately and I hope you get to feeling a little better soon. So...the way i think of it (this is from my own research on the internet, I have no psych background or phD) is that stress is what causes anxiety. Meaning your body's reaction to perceived stress results in anxiety symptoms. OCD is an anxiety disorder and typically anxiety disorders come in multiples (meaning its rarer for someone to ONLY have OCD than for someone to have OCD and another anxiety disorder like GAD(Generalized Anxiety Disorder)for example) I thought it was interesting that you said your OCD/Anxiety was getting worse with stress because stress is typically what causes those things! It makes perfect sense to me that your anxiety and OCD are getting worse with increased levels of stress.

Unfortunately, prolonged high degrees of anxiety take a toll on people like you and me that have the predisposition both physically and emotionally. You can see that from some of the physical signs of OCD and anxiety like increased heartrate, dizziness, shortness of breath, trembling, etc. I would say it would be a great idea to work on managing your stress. That could involve deep breathing exercises, long baths (that helps me with my ocd sometimes), reaching out to therapists when you can better afford, free OCD support groups (that was great for me), reading up on your disorder (Stop Obsessing! is a good book) or even talking to your M.D. I would assess what works best for you and go from there. But always remember if it gets too tough, you can always find someone to talk to that can help. We are all human and have our limits and I can definitely relate with how your feeling right now.

Sometimes I get really overwhelmed but if I feel like I'm making a serious effort to work towards feeling better, I know that I'm doing what I can to fight this. I was at my whits end with this dumb disorder at one point, and its taken a while for me to get a better handle on my anxiety and I still am not even close to having all of the answers. Dont worry about your skin, just take care of how you're feeling right now on the inside and work towards that goal. The skin is secondary and will improve once your anxiety and OCD improves.

Anyway, I hope this helped a little bit, sorry I get so long winded. Take care and I'll be thinking of you.

The Following User Says Thank You to Eyes2thesky For This Useful Post:
exoticsquare (10-19-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread