It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2011, 10:18 AM   #1
(female)

Stephanie 272 HB User
Possible OCD? Any suggestions.

Good afternoon,

I am 31 y/o, and have what I always referred to as "quirks" my whole life. My husband always jokingly said "Steff, there's your OCD again!". But, I find that my "quirks" seem to be worse and I am not able to ignore them, making me think that perhaps I do have mild OCD, or something of the likes.
Please share with me if you experience anything similar to what I do.

When I talk, read, or think I count syllables. I do it all the time, usually without even thinking about it. And worse, I always have to have the last syllable end on my thumb when I am counting. If it doesn't I will rearrange the word or sentence so that it does end on my thumb. Also, when I read titles or headings I always seperate the words in to 2 letter groupings. And again, will rearrange the words if I can't get an even grouping.

In regard to my everyday life, I always load the dishwasher so that all the cutlery is in the same area. I can not mix the forks and and spoons. And it is not like I just "do it, because I want to" - I can not walk away from the dishwasher if the cutlery is mixed. I even do this if I am at a friend's house and they happen to open the dishwasher and I see it. Other small things include having the towels all in the same direction, not being able to sleep if there is a closet door open, and cleaning table when I am out at a restaurant.

I always considered these just simple "quirks", but I am starting to notice it more and more, especially the syllable counting. Can anyone relate? And if so, do you have any suggestions?

Thank you for your time,
Stephanie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread