It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2011, 10:23 AM   #1
(male)

Lakes001 HB User
Is it wrong to give in to the OCD beast?

Have a long history of performing rituals to assure the things I worry about never happen. I have been doing them so long they are part of my daily routine.

I've added a new "wrinkle" to my worries which is the fear of acting on impulse or a terrible thought. I've worried that something out of my control could cause me to harm someone or myself. I've loved hunting for years. Now I want to cancel planned trips because I fear hurting someone or my self. These are last things I would ever do. But if the risk is there, at least in my mind, I am better off canceling the things I like to do. The torment I go through the two or three weeks before a planned trip or other activity that I preceive as having risk doesn't seem like it's worthwhile. Just cancel things. But then the bad guy (OCD) wins which then makes me feel like a coward. That and the disappointment I feel because I've let others down by my avoiding things that cause me anxiety. It's weird, because if one of these trips came up an the last minute, I'd go immediately. Maybe because there no time for my mind to play "what if this happens" tricks which I then visualize happening, causing me a lot af anxiety.

Is it ever okay to step aside for a few weeks and catch ones breath?

Old 10-21-2011, 04:47 PM   #2
(female)

PinkIcecream HB UserPinkIcecream HB User
Re: Is it wrong to give in to the OCD beast?

I went through a stage where I had exactly the same problem as you. I'd cancel things or avoid social occasions because of OCD thoughts. I understood that it made little to no sense, and that my fears were totally irrationnal, but still the OCD made me so afraid I preferred not to "take a chance".
But you have to realize: the thing is there's no risk of anything like that happening. You're never "taking a chance"; you don't have to fear that you will lose control over yourself if you let your guard down against OCD fears. That's all in your head and it doesn't mean anything.
You say that things get better when there's no planning period, when it's just an immediate decision? Maybe you could try something like each day, you plan to do something one or two days later. Then, after a while, you plan to do something three days or a week later. And then, when you can get comfortable enough with this, prolong the time a little bit again. Each time you can plan something nice, enjoyable, something you like doing a little further ahead. After a while, it might get easier to ignore the anxiety and the "what if this happens" scenarios.
By coping with that and trying to ignore the "what if this or that happens" scenarios, you are not giving in to the OCD. You are actually fighting it, and trust me, the more you fight it and resist it, the better you will get at dismissing the OCD thoughts as just OCD thoughts --irrationnal, meaningless, and NOT what YOU want. And remember: you are not alone: there are tons of people out there struggling with OCD and, fortunately, seeking help. If you think you need it, you could see a psychiatrist, or maybe get a book. Whatever you feel suits you. Anyway, hope I helped. Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to PinkIcecream For This Useful Post:
Lakes001 (10-24-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2011, 02:48 PM   #3
(male)

Lakes001 HB User
Re: Is it wrong to give in to the OCD beast?

Great advise and thank you very much.

Closed Thread