It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2011, 05:05 PM   #1
(female)

sanandreas HB Usersanandreas HB User
Seems to be a fine line between OCD and anxiety

The more I read, the more I become aware of the fact that my anxiety issues may also have roots in OCD.

I guess I always thought of OCD as being something like compulsive hand washing .... But see it can also be thoughts you cannot stop thinking.

For me, I can't get off negative thoughs (about a variety of things) My health for one, my finances, some minor things like songs I just can't get out of my head (I am bad with this, 1st thing when I wake up and if an earworm has got me, I will immediately be having that song in my mind)

So - my question - is a continuous focus on something (be it my health, a song, or whatever) is that OCD? I wake up in the morning and my mind immediately jumps to whatever issue was bothering me when I was finally able to fall asleep.

Also - I can't ever shut my mind up. It is a busy little thing - always thinking, talking to me, throwing out what if's....

I have been diagnosed with anxiety, never with OCD - but I haven't been to a therapist for a long time as I frankly just can't afford it.

THANK YOU

Old 11-02-2011, 03:26 PM   #2
(male)

Audio HB User
Re: Seems to be a fine line between OCD and anxiety

You sound JUST like me.

My therapist diagnosed me with GAD ( Generalized Anxiety Disorder ) but not OCD. I don't she was trained in recognizing it though.

"always thinking, talking to me, throwing out what if's...." I have this problem more than anything. I'm always thinking "what if, what if, what if" I can't ever get a break from myself.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2011, 10:18 AM   #3
(female)

exoticsquare HB User
Re: Seems to be a fine line between OCD and anxiety

I have been diagnosed with OCD and I struggle with the same things you listed. I don't wash my hands all the time or do anything like that. Part of OCD is those obsessions, you just can't turn your brain off, you go over something over and over again in your mind. My psychologist is trying to teach me mindfulness exercises. For example, when I catch myself getting really negative in my head I can stop and start focusing on what is around me, focus on an object, imagine what it feels like, how heavy it would be, basically meditate on things in the immediate surroundings. What does the air smell like? Use all your senses. This can turn your brain to thinking about something else. I did this once at the doctor's office while I was waiting and getting really negative and I think I was anxious about the appointment, I started mediating on the painting on one of the walls and the different medical equipment in the room. This works. OCD is an expression of anxiety disorder.

Closed Thread