It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2011, 10:24 AM   #1
(female)

cmarty223 HB User
Thought it was just anxiety, but...

I've been battling anxiety and depression for awhile now. I had/have horrible anxiety. I used to have full blown panic attacks 3-5 times a week. I was prescribed Celexa daily, and ativan, as needed. I was on it for a few months, and it helped. I haven't been back to see my doctor or therapist for months... I know, I know... I will make an appt right after I type this.

My problem now, aside from the anxiety and depression is seeing bad things in my head. Play by play. If I watch the news or read an article, like about a car accident for example, I see it in my head, but it's someone I know. Like, "What if it was my kids? My husband? My sister?" The latest one was about my sister in a car accident. I seen it all play by play in my head. The driving in the car, the accident, my mom crying, my self crying, and worst of all, her funeral. By the end of it, it was a full blown panic attack. It was hard to "shake my self" out of it. I KNOW it wasn't real, but it just felt so real. This is all the time.

I always think the worst of anything. I can't help it, but I do and I don't know why. But the irrational thoughts are driving me crazing. Can this me part of OCD? The Obsessive part? Always "seeing" bad things in my head?

The following user gives a hug of support to cmarty223:
PinkIcecream (12-11-2011)
Old 12-11-2011, 03:26 AM   #2
(female)

PinkIcecream HB UserPinkIcecream HB User
Re: Thought it was just anxiety, but...

Don't worry, cmarty, that is definitely part of the OCD. Bad thing is there's really not much to tell you about how to bat those irrationnal thoughts away; I used to be stuck in that phase too, but somehow I managed to wiggle out of it. ^^ If you're seeing a therapist regularly, ask his or her advice about it. My therapist told me to write my OCD irrationnal thoughts down and also write down a sentence to remind myself that it's not me, just my OCD scaring me, and to do this every time I really couldn't shake a thought off. It really helped! If you have the time, you could also manage to do some kind of intense sport at least twice a week to reduce your stress and anxiety; OCD stems mostly from anxiety, that's why stressful people are more prone to this disorder than relaxed people. So if you do what you can to reduce your anxiety to the minimum level, you'll find that your OCD irrationnal thoughts grow less and less gradually; or you'll be able to ignore them more easily. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2011, 04:03 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

captjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB Usercaptjane HB User
Re: Thought it was just anxiety, but...

"Can this me part of OCD? The Obsessive part? "

yes, these type of obsessional thoughts are a big part of OCD. It's often what drives OCD rituals and repeated actions. as said above, OCD is very much an anxiety based disorder

Closed Thread