HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/obsessive-compulsive-disorder-ocd/)
-   -   Compulsive Tongue Biting/Picking (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/obsessive-compulsive-disorder-ocd/879140-compulsive-tongue-biting-picking.html)

StacyAnnClover 11-23-2011 06:08 AM

Compulsive Tongue Biting/Picking

I have not been diagnosed with OCD, but I have several compulsive activities that I perform and I'd like to understand them. The most destructive is my compulsive tongue picking...

Okay, this is gross, so if you're squeamish beware! Keep in mind that I do [I]not[/I] damage my entire tongue! It is just small area, usually about 1x1 cm in area. As such...no one else has really noticed the problem.

So I begin by biting my tongue. Not so much gnawing a large chunk as pinching tiny bits of the surface between my front teeth and pulling them off. After a time, the buds on the surface (I guess they're called papillae) become inflamed, swollen, numb, etc. I can [I]feel[/I] the buds when I run my tongue against the edges of my front teeth...and this drives me [I]nuts[/I]. I just can't leave them alone at that point. So then I begin to pick at the surface with my fingernails, snagging little bits and pilling them off. This satisfies me to an extent, but I still feel like I can't excise the buds fully. So more recently, I've started using a nail clipper (I keep one sterilized especially for this purpose) to go in and clip the offending buds off. After I feel I've sufficiently cleared the area, I generally stop.

Anyway, it's all sort of a bloody mess, but the sore manages to heal up within a few days. And I would be lying if I said I did not enjoy it...:( It hurts, yet it's intensely fulfilling and satisfying (for lack of a better word). I have read that people with trichotillomania go into "trance-like states" when they are plucking hairs, which I can really relate to. I do not practice this behavior when I am stressed out (or at least not consciously stressed), but more when I'm bored or watching television. I become focused on the precision of the activity and not much else.

Does anyone else do this? I've been doing it since childhood and I've always thought that I was the only one. But now I'm beginning to think there [I]must[/I] be other people. If so, please share! I'd like to stop, since I fear this might lead to mouth cancer or jaw problem (from the constant chewing).

jenhughsvsu 01-09-2012 11:17 AM

Re: Compulsive Tongue Biting/Picking

I am home from work today because I have a huge sore on my tounge that I caused myself. I scrape my tounge along my teeth, HARD. I am lucky to go a whole minute without doing this. It's so bad today because I drank over the weekend which is when I do it even harder. I can't eat today or talk correctly and I am more upset that I can't scrape my tounge as much because the sore is in the way. I never really thought of it as OCD before but that would make sense. I am trying to reserach it as much as possible today because now that it is effecting my work and overall life so much I have to do something about it. Let me know if anything has worked for you! Thanks and good luck

Jenmil04 01-25-2012 11:16 PM

Re: Compulsive Tongue Biting/Picking

This is EXACTLY the same thing I do! I also recently started using nail clippers to get what I can't pick out with my fingers. I've searched all over trying to figure out why I may be doing this. Like you said, it is satisfying but it also hurts. I found that rinsing my mouth with hydrogen peroxide after I get done picking helps alot with the pain. I am 26 and I have been biting and chewing on my tongue since I was about 15. It's so annoying. :( most of the time I don't even realize I'm doing it.