It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2011, 06:08 AM   #1
(female)

StacyAnnClover HB User
Compulsive Tongue Biting/Picking

I have not been diagnosed with OCD, but I have several compulsive activities that I perform and I'd like to understand them. The most destructive is my compulsive tongue picking...

Okay, this is gross, so if you're squeamish beware! Keep in mind that I do not damage my entire tongue! It is just small area, usually about 1x1 cm in area. As such...no one else has really noticed the problem.

So I begin by biting my tongue. Not so much gnawing a large chunk as pinching tiny bits of the surface between my front teeth and pulling them off. After a time, the buds on the surface (I guess they're called papillae) become inflamed, swollen, numb, etc. I can feel the buds when I run my tongue against the edges of my front teeth...and this drives me nuts. I just can't leave them alone at that point. So then I begin to pick at the surface with my fingernails, snagging little bits and pilling them off. This satisfies me to an extent, but I still feel like I can't excise the buds fully. So more recently, I've started using a nail clipper (I keep one sterilized especially for this purpose) to go in and clip the offending buds off. After I feel I've sufficiently cleared the area, I generally stop.

Anyway, it's all sort of a bloody mess, but the sore manages to heal up within a few days. And I would be lying if I said I did not enjoy it... It hurts, yet it's intensely fulfilling and satisfying (for lack of a better word). I have read that people with trichotillomania go into "trance-like states" when they are plucking hairs, which I can really relate to. I do not practice this behavior when I am stressed out (or at least not consciously stressed), but more when I'm bored or watching television. I become focused on the precision of the activity and not much else.

Does anyone else do this? I've been doing it since childhood and I've always thought that I was the only one. But now I'm beginning to think there must be other people. If so, please share! I'd like to stop, since I fear this might lead to mouth cancer or jaw problem (from the constant chewing).

The following user gives a hug of support to StacyAnnClover:
seymoursays (12-03-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2012, 11:17 AM   #2
(female)

jenhughsvsu HB User
Re: Compulsive Tongue Biting/Picking

I am home from work today because I have a huge sore on my tounge that I caused myself. I scrape my tounge along my teeth, HARD. I am lucky to go a whole minute without doing this. It's so bad today because I drank over the weekend which is when I do it even harder. I can't eat today or talk correctly and I am more upset that I can't scrape my tounge as much because the sore is in the way. I never really thought of it as OCD before but that would make sense. I am trying to reserach it as much as possible today because now that it is effecting my work and overall life so much I have to do something about it. Let me know if anything has worked for you! Thanks and good luck

Old 01-25-2012, 11:16 PM   #3
(female)

Jenmil04 HB User
Re: Compulsive Tongue Biting/Picking

This is EXACTLY the same thing I do! I also recently started using nail clippers to get what I can't pick out with my fingers. I've searched all over trying to figure out why I may be doing this. Like you said, it is satisfying but it also hurts. I found that rinsing my mouth with hydrogen peroxide after I get done picking helps alot with the pain. I am 26 and I have been biting and chewing on my tongue since I was about 15. It's so annoying. most of the time I don't even realize I'm doing it.

Closed Thread