It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2011, 04:06 AM   #1
(female)

lilone85 HB User
Unhappy convinced i smell - please help!

i think i have developed a severe form of autodysmophobia.
i am convinced i smell. especially if i see people staring at me. if i see someone near me rub their nose or pull a face, i am convinced it is a reaction from the odor i emit?
it started afew years ago and i believed my feet smelt. i believed people could smell them through shoes. only after a shower of scrubbing my feet did i feel okay. i threw out near new shoes because i thought the bacteria/germs in them were making my feet smell.
if i walked around all day in sandals. my feet had been sweating, dirt had touched them so i believed they must smell unbearingly BAD. i have also believed i smelt like extreme body odour.
now i am convinced i smell "down there" even tho i know i am pretty sure i dont. i cant help but obsess over it. sometimes i think an entire room can smell me "down there" and they are laughing and whispering about me. in the past i have had panic/anxiety attacks about this.
i wash myself with appropriate wash to keep the ph level there right. i carry wipes. i change my underwear twice a day. if i dont have wipes, i will wet toilet paper and clean myself. sometimes i think that if i wear a skirt people can smell me even MORE! so i wear pants on purpose to muffle the smell (EVEN THO I DONT THINK THE SMELL EXISTS!)
i feel like everyone laughs about me and i have a reputation as "the smelly girl" but everyone is too embarrassed to confront me about it.
even my bf says i dont smell yet i cant bring myself to believe anyone. this fear of being ridiculed and laughed at because i smell is ruining my life and social life. i am afraid to spend a day out because all i can think about is sweat, and starting to smell.

The following user gives a hug of support to lilone85:
seymoursays (12-03-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2011, 11:47 AM   #2
(female)

seymoursays HB User
Re: convinced i smell - please help!

i feel that way too but not with your intensity. I find what works for me is i use Twightlight Woods lotion from bath and body works after i shower all over my body. Not only does it smell good to me but to everyone else

Old 12-08-2011, 10:35 PM   #3
(male)

Starwars Jim HB User

Hi there, my old girl friend had the same thoughts. She diagnosed herself and thought the whole world could smell her. All I had to do is take her to a doctor who said she did not have autodysmophobia and drink more water. Then there is the old smell test, not by me but by a animal like a cat or a dog. A dog will not lie to save it's life so simply stand next to a friendly pooch and just wait a few seconds, when the dog acknowleges you, you will know if they dislike your oder. Also what about your boyfriend or husband? They'll tell you the truth...?

Old 01-04-2012, 02:09 AM   #4
(female)

lilone85 HB User

hi.. ive only managed to just read this.. see now after reading your response im thinking, "all this time i HAVE smelt because i barely drink water!" does lack of drinking water result in a foul smell down there?? (i honestly cannot smell anything and my dog doesnt react to that area at all)
do you remember why the doctor recommended you gf drink water in particular?

Closed Thread