It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2012, 08:22 PM   #1
(male)

live2Bfree28 HB User
Question OCD: Trapped in Head

Good evening everyone. I struggle with a problem that involves obsessing about the state of my mind all the time. Let me give you some examples:

1.) When I begin talking to others on the phone, I will begin to obsess about the social discomfort I experience when I talk to them. Sometimes a headache will develop from this, or I get caught on a thought that interrupts the conversation, and so forth. The thought could simply be a weird sensation in my head.

2.) I will have to complete a project or task at work and instead of being able to tell myself to stop the task and finish at a later time, I get stuck on it. This will often cloud my thinking and block me from seeing the big picture so I don't waste time on small things.

3.) I will pull up next to someone at a stoplight and the thought will pop into my head that they are looking at me. I am not getting nervous when this happens, but I will lose myself in this thought. The same is true when I go out in social settings. Some days are worse than others.

4.) If I take a supplement that calms me too much and inhibits my thinking, I will keep looping in my head on a task I need to accomplish because my brain is unable to figure it out. It could simply be what I have to do next. This happens after work often.

5.) I will drive somewhere and just loose my self in my head. It's not that I am thinking about an event that occurred in the day or what I am driving by, or listening to on the radio. It's that I spend this time thinking about my mind and how it functions.

These are just a few examples. Anymore, it seems like there is always something I am obsessing about. It seems to eat up a lot of my time. I am not depressed or stressing about this because I take supplements that relax me and keep me mood in line. However, I have notice that even if you do relax yourself, the obsessions still seem to occur. The difference is they are manageable. I think of anxiety as being fuel for the OCD fire that always burns.

Anyways, I was just wondering if anyone else experiences any of this and what they do to overcome it. Is there a technique you can use, or some sort of supplement out there that might help (i.e. St. John's Wort)? I just seem to be wasting my life away with all of this.

Thanks,

J

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2012, 12:27 PM   #2
(female)

decipheringlife HB User
Re: OCD: Trapped in Head

Not sure this is helpful but I felt compelled to write (especially since there weren't any other responses yet...)

I have experienced similar thoughts, only much more than what you have listed. Sad to say but I'm actually relieved that there are others here that have similar experiences, and I'm only saying this because I almost thought I was going insane, so at least I know I'm not, lol.

However, it's really frustrating. I know that I have OCD and anxiety, etc. I was able to keep it under control for some time many years back, then the symptoms began to creep up on me little by little over time. Over the last year it's becoming progressively worse. I'm at the point where I've cut everyone off in my life (except very few family members.) It's awful because I'm finding it more difficult to concentrate when I have work to do. I know I need to be counseled and I'm finally at the point where I believe it's necessary.
I haven't been on any psychological meds yet but mostly because I've always feared adverse side effects, even more so now because I've been physically ill for a little over a year now and some of those meds had psych affects like dizziness etc that added to my anxiety and I won't continue to elaborate because this post will just be way too long...

I don't know what will help you; I can only say that so far trying my best to focus on prayer helps me in the moment; but I really want all of this to stop. I feel like I can't do anything without a strange thought popping into my mind. Even now! I feel like writing about this is going to make it worse - but I know it's all part of the OCD. I really had no idea that OCD involved so many other things, aside from the physical compulsions like repeated washing hands / checking things / counting or numbers / etc etc etc etc

I guess the only advice I can give for now is doing what I do: refocus your thoughts elsewhere (and in my case it's prayer.) Of course it's very difficult to do but if you force another thought - anything - keep trying to focus on it and eventually your mind will forget - at least for a little while, which I guess is better than nothing...

If you find something that seems to help you (prescription or meditation etc) please post it.*

Best of luck to you...

Old 06-28-2012, 09:23 PM   #3
(male)

Raziel34 HB UserRaziel34 HB User
Smile Re: OCD: Trapped in Head

I understand what it feels like. I have been taking St. John's Wort for about 1 year now. I think it has helped in terms of managing some depressing feelings. I also have a prescription for a clonazepam that I take during heightened periods of OCDness.... It totally is like being trapped in your mind - the fortunate thing is we are still rational and in touch with reality because many OCD sufferers realize their thoughts are silly and the rituals really don't make sense. It's a disorder just like any other.

I check and check things all the time. It's very difficult to stop. You should seek out therapy with a psychologist that specializes in anxiety. It was one of the best things I have done - up to that point - before seeing someone, I seriously thought I was losing my mind. I was scared and saught medical help - I didn't understand what was going on with my mind. It's like the wiring is wrong in our brains but new habits can be learned (how to manage OCD) versus developing compulsions to deal with them.

All the best. Hit me up if you want to chat more. I just joined because I need to be interacting with people who know what it's like to have this condition.

Old 06-29-2012, 07:55 PM   #4
(male)

live2Bfree28 HB User

Raziel34, thanks for the feedback and welcome! I am sorry to hear your mind functions similar to mine. Wow, it's hard to believe I typed that post almost six month ago. I don't come on here too often, but I saw that someone replied to my post. Anyways, I was seeing a holistic health expert in Northwest Indiana for about a year that perscribed me a whole bunchs of supps to detox my liver, kidneys, brain, etc. He also put me on some chinese herbs and other plant herbs like ashwagandha, as well as mutlivitamins and other things. Some helped and some caused aggravation. I find that B-complexes irritate my issue and make me horribly rigid.

Right now I am seeing a homeopath in the subs of Chicago that has about 40 years experience. He started treating me with Pusatilla 200C which seemed to help with headaches and the mental discomfort when speaking to people. It does seem to help with depression too. It gets me moving again. However, it does seem to aggravate the OCD some more because it tends to relax the mind too much if you are not careful. When that happens, I will keep looping in my head over something that I can't break out of.

I am now taking nitricum acidum 200C. This has been helping with the mental rigidity and being able to speak smoothly. Again, too much seems to almost create rigidity. All this stuff blows my mind how it works. I will not give up because my mind does respond well to remedies. I find I don't need a lot of a supplement to see results. I just wish the results were consistent. My worst problem is trying to figure out how the mind works. Just don't go there because you will never figure out. I did that for about six years. I suggest you look into the homeopathy. It's gentle and not expensive to buy. It's also safe and natural. I gave up on the meds a long time ago. I will only go back to if I am at the end of the line and all other options are exhausted.

Stay in touch and have a pleasant evening.

-J-

Old 07-09-2012, 11:00 PM   #5
(male)

Raziel34 HB UserRaziel34 HB User

I'm all for natural and homepathy is an interest but I am a bit skeptical. So you are doing well then ? Yes, I agree, we'll never figure out our mind but understanding that it we have no control over the thoughts that pop in and out of our heads - but can choose to react to them helps me. It's an interesting and yet frustrating journey, and I'd prefer to not have to go through this but I suppose it could be worse - right? Lots of other more horrible things/diseases/conditions one could be plagued with.

Closed Thread